AI puts up the shutters

I think that the Anglo Info platform is fine. It is an easy to use and intuitive system that lacks a few details, like an edit function, but is fit for purpose. I particularly like it being divided into regions. The real problem is that during the transition period from the old platform to the new sorted out version the new look and teething troubles were too much for many of the traditional users and they stopped using the site. Since then it just hasn’t had enough traffic on the discussions pages. Some regions scrape by but others, like the Midi-Pyrenees South and Provence pages, can go weeks without a post or a reply. It will be interesting to see if the new improved site is any better.

the midi Pyrenees part was rife with bullies and as David said Knuckle grazers. For ages i didn’t comment or post i was just ion there for business purposes but saw it on a daily basis. they changed the format and that didn’t help either and they just let the same faces continue to belittle the other members on a daily basis.

Lets hope with the rebirth that they get their act together and from the get go they have a zero tolerance on that sort of behaviour.

No you’re quite right Paul, Survive France is no intellectual colossus, but the “snobbery” on my part is working class pure and simple.

Which is the worst kind.:wink:

I discovered AI before I moved and carried on using it for quite a few years and as I recall the moderation was draconian. They used to delete posts and ban you not only for bad forum netiquette but for posting anything they considered off topic. Trouble was that the moderators didn’t seem to understand the threads half the time. I regularly had totally relevant posts removed for being off topic. I discovered that what you had to do was post the information and then add a paragraph explaining in words of one how it was relevant to the original post, but I soon got bored with that and stopped using the site. Or on second thoughts did I get banned for pointing out that the same person regularly started new threads saying they’d just discovered this great little cafe - always the same cafe - and listing the entire menu and prices, and I said something like, does this person have a short memory or do they have a vested interest. The moderator deleted my post, let the free advertising stand, and I think they banned me. Perhaps it was the moderator’s own caff.
Zero tolerance is good but it needs to be got right.

I’m sure Paul’s more working class than me but as I believe he’s American that would make him middle class. Working class no longer exists in the American mentalité.:blush:

David. I don’t have any great interest in (or loyalty to) any website - some are very useful and most are utter rubbish. However, I take issue with your blanket criticism of A I . Why? Because of your generalisation that everyone who used it was an idiot. The word knuckelgrazer conjures up images of mental defectives - usually of the “chav” or “ape-like” type. As I was an occasional user of Angloinfo for a few years, I guess your comments must mean someone like me.

Of course, you don’t know me. You know nothing about me…or for that matter, you probably don’t know 99% of the other people who used AI. Regardless, you made your sweeping statement about the “numpties who contribute”.

With this you are also telling us that you stand apart from all that “nonsense” and are a higher animal - not given to making ridiculous statements and with an intellect way above the “knuckle grazer” level.

I see quite a bit of this on here for some reason…

Finally I’m not sure why I wrote middle class snobbery. I apologise to those who are middle class. However, I make no apology for using the word snobbery - I don’t like it from whatever source it comes from.

Oh… I am not American

1 Like

Good to know you’re not American Paul. I was confusing you with someone else.

What’s wrong with Americans, anyone else you want to insult?:wink:

My best mate is American, nowt wrong with him !

We stopped using it for the same reason - draconian (and ill informed) moderation -hence the very minimal moderation on SF. We’d rather the community police itself - which it generally does!
We finally left when James posted looking for a fellow Rhodesian Ridgeback owner to go for dog walks with. Got a very curt message telling us that then post would be deleted as there was no mention of the dog’s registration number.
James then posted as the dog - complete with number - asking for a friend to go for walkies with and the post was promptly zapped. Says it all really!

2 Likes

sounds about right. I have a few roddies that come to stay at my place and love them.

1 Like

I know I should know but where are you Harry? Just in case we ever need a baby sitter…

quite far from you i believe 65330 GALEZ although i have one couple does a 5 hour round trip to come to me with their 2 doggies

Duly noted! Not ridiculous esp. as when we left our previous Ridgeback in ‘kennels’ when we picked him up, the poor sod clearly thought he’d done something wrong and been sent to doggie borstal :frowning:
We have brilliant house sitters for when we go on holiday but very good to know should we need to go away for a short period of time - esp as we can fly back to the UK from Tarbes :slight_smile:

1 Like

yes its why we do it like this, can’t stand the idea of locking dogs away like a jail. my living room is full of dogs atm. I remember i was told, focus on the holidays but more often than not im at 8 plus dogs.

yes saw same site talking of how they ripped people off. they are just showing the truth of anglo info.

I am all for being candid and saying what I feel but some times people have been plain wicked! Do people get a kick out of being cruel to others?
I have been victim and it is not fun.
So lets not go there.

Have you been on the sherry already as I’ve no idea what you are on about?:wink:

Tim I do not drink alcohol very often…never mind the sherry joke!
Mainly talking about Anglo info actually but there have been moments on here
and one big moment as it happens.
Just can not understand why people find pleasure in being rude to others but it happens.