Alfie Evans

They should be changed all the time but sadly they aren’t…I’m not calling front line boots on the ground doctors and staff…they do an amazing job in very difficult circumstances…I’ve known people with terminal lung conditions…stent put in and subsequent pseudomonas invasion of their body following shortly after…(I’ve also given suggestions on how to combat this naturally to good effect)…I also know many who have contracted hospital acquired pneumonia 24 to 48 hours after admission and someone who lost both their mother to it and then their home trying to prove it…

I found this interesting… came across it when looking into the statement about Alfie’s brain being “mostly water”…

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn12301-man-with-tiny-brain-shocks-doctors/

the problem is coming from a medical background, they cannot find a cure, its terminal and getting worse. flying him anywhere will be cruel to him, while it may give the parents hope its unfortunately false hope unless you believe in devine miracles.

many things alternative therapy is great but this is serious stuff. without all the drugs and ventilator this little guy would be in real trouble.

Having spent nearly a year in hospital many of it in a very bad way, having spent 6 months caring for my grandad watching nurses and doctors struggle with workload and do their best and never once did my grandad get any sickness not related to his illnesses until the very end.

spend many years training and working myself and watching people get sick because of the sterile environment and medication and often illnesses brought in from outside then go viral inside a ward.

Yes I know some places are not to be desired but everywhere i worked cleanliness was a priority.

1 Like

it is just so hard to separate emotion and love from medical facts and the variation of medical knowledge.
I struggled with the reality of my fathers last few weeks as he lay in waiting in the very hospital which made him so sad…and, forever will remind me that of the torment which he went through.
I was promised a few weeks in a good hospice but he slipped away during the night having died alone in that place he hated. Through out his time in the hospital things had gone wrong and he had suffered mental abuse by one of the male nurses.His ward was not only a mix of male and female but also was shared with a number of drug addicts. Massive stress for the nursing staff. Huge ward.
So I am not always sure of leaving ones life and love in the hands of medical people in the UK . My stories would substantiate this.
We must make our own decisions.

The one that gave us free will

Taking the boy to Italy would not have cured his illness merely offer the possibility of prolonging his current vegetative state. I fully appreciate why his parents do not want to let go but IMO they have to respect the law of the land who have made their decisions based on what’s best for the child.

As I understand it the parents are now going to ask the hospital to take the boy home which may or may not be allowed and I hope that the parents will trust the judgement of the hospital rather than go to the courts again if the request is refused.

1 Like

Hi everyone… could we please NOT turn this into a heated discussion about religion…

cheers

4 Likes

since the family themselves want to take the kid for religious intervention the story itself is about religion so that would end the entire story.

Harry… I mentioned “heated discussion”… there is no problem with folk agreeing or disagreeing with a point of view etc… provided that everyone remains civil…

After all, this is a dinner-party… not a bar-room brawl… :wink::relaxed::relaxed:

2 Likes

oh i have more heated discussion about religion at our dinner table.

the problem is given he is now an Italian citizen, if he goes home they are just going to take him to Italy.

To define…every parent practicing or belonging to any religion will love their child till the end of time and beyond.

There is no doubt about this.
The responsibility of that parent is to love without condition and to do what is best by the child
not what makes them feel better.

3 Likes

Have you finished ranting?

Free will is the freedom to choose whether your actions are good or bad.

1 Like

Maybe start another thread Eh! to squabble on, I started this one to sympathize with a little Lad and His Family.

yeah i was debating it but honestly cannot get into as it will fall on deaf ears. Yes back on track. I see the hospital is refusing to allow him to go home.

I personally think they should let him go home and if they want to take him to Italy they should be allowed to. Poor kid is dying and at least the parents can then say they tried everything, although the statement of “your faith was not strong enough” which they sem to use when they fail to work a miracle or “it was not god’s will to save him”

But they should be allowed to try.

This thread should only evoke sadness and sympathy not pointless squabbles about religion. Most of us I guess are parents so question ourselves as to how we would deal with this awful situation, I know my wife and I would have wanted the child to have some sort of life rather than be forever hooked up to a machine so would have accepted the medical advice but rightly not everyone would follow the same path.

2 Likes

Thanks Tim, well put, respect for the ‘subject of the thread’ would be good, I have a similar view to you, regarding the Wee Lad. :heart:

unfortunately like many threads its easy to get off track and many of the posters on the group have diverted threads from the original subject. as you may well have seen before you posted I have attempted to put it back on track while still keeping the opinion i’m entitled to same as everyone else. Given ive read the report from the court in full being my own child i would opt to take him or her home if possible but also I would not want them to suffer.

whats funny is you liked the comment that started the religious debate (the one I deleted as it offended too many Christians

Unfortunately Tim, the parents of Alfie were funded by an American extremist right wing Christian group.
I believe that they are now working with the hospital for the benefit of their son.