All Things Golf

To kick of a thread, discussion, info source about golf in France - here’s a short video of my local course - EcoGolf Ariege Pyrenees. A challenging, undulating course in the foothills of the Pyrenees about an hour South of Toulouse. I’ve included links to the website and a link to our Head Greenkeepers blog.

EcoGolf Ariege Pyrenees - Website

Head Greenkeeper Blog

2 Likes

A bit of background…I only started playing golf around 7 years ago and completed my Carte Verte training and obtained my FFG licence here in France. To be honest it was never a sport I’d even considered but I haven’t looked back and have now transformed into a golf nut! It’s great exercise - 18 holes normally taking around 4 hours, 8km walk and loads of ‘swinging’ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

To be honest, for me, it’s 50% about the golf and 50% the social side of things. Rural Ariege can feel a bit like an open prison if you’re not careful and golf has give me a wonderful ‘escape’. Members are made up of locals, out-of-towners, and ‘foreigners’ - a great mix which makes for a great atmosphere and friendships. We have a fab golf school for the youngsters which is a pleasure to behold.

If you’re on-the-cusp, give it a go. As I say to my neighbours - it’s cheaper than smoking!!

2 Likes

I tried it once (actually 1 and a half times - clubhouse was far more appealing the 2nd time​:beer::beer:), really couldn’t get the hang of it. Maybe should have persevered… went mountaineering and diving instead :grin:

1 Like

Mark my training was 3 months before I was allowed on the big boys course!

I had a Dutch colleague who wasn’t allowed to play on a “big” course until she reached a certain standard. Apparently Holland doesn’t have the land for many courses so space is very limited.

1 Like

I actually used to play on the most easterly course in the UK at Gorleston. It was on the edge of cliffs and the constant wind meant most of my balls end ended up in the sea or on the beach !
The Par 3s could be a sand wedge one day or a driver the next.
Some nice courses on the Norfolk and Suffolk coast like Sheringham, Hunstanton and Southwold etc

1 Like

Southwold… you played at Southwold… ??? :thinking:

My Dad loved golf and was pleased to have a golf-course “just round the back…” He reckoned that it was good for the health and good for his customers… (seems some sound financial decisions may have been made at the 19th hole :hugs: )

Used to live near Southwold and loved going to Aldeburgh too

We lived in Southwold… for 4 glorious teenage years… such memories… :relaxed:

Used to spend a lot of time in the Adnams shop…
Plus the Five Bells pub at South Cove used to be a fave haunt.

1 Like

Before your time, but my elder sister was John Adnams’ secretary.

Getting back to golf… when did you last play at Southwold??

Blimey,about 1987 ish.
We had a cuppa in the revamped shop/cafe last year.

Dad last played there 80’s/90’s… although we had actually all moved further south by then. He loved visiting old friends… and any excuse for a game was too good to miss…

Gorgeous day, just a short hop across those Pyrenees !

IMG_20190206_092744

1 Like

Is that Club de Golf de Comprodon - a fabulous nine hole course just over the border?

No Dan Torremirona Golf & Spa

A whole new world (only 2.5 hours drive away) full of smiley, happy people, great service, decent prices and no bloody snow or Jilly Joneses!!

Yes we played there a couple times quite a few tears ago. We used to play regularly at Peralada and Gerona as they did reduced green fees for seniors on certain days. Emporda, Pals and Costa Brava are nice too but Peralada was our favourite.

1 Like

Yes Dan, most of my rounds of golf end in ‘tears’ too !

It looks soooo easy on the telly !

1 Like

My one and a half rounds (yonks ago) ended in beers :beers:

1 Like

If it was down to drinking i’d be down to single figures !! :+1:

3 Likes