Almost nothing seems to be working in Britain…

Just listening to PM and good old boy IDS is lying through his teeth, comme d’hab.

The tactics and strategy to get 67 million people through the coming storm are being decided by just 160K fat, dumb and happy right-wingers. They must choose between two people, neither of which is fit to serve. How is that democracy?

1 Like

When did the British electorate ever decide who led one of the political parties?

3 Likes

Yes Nigel, I have to agree with you, it is judgmental of me and I won’t bore you with any of the landslide of evidence that has brought me to that conclusion.

On the other hand I have no insight as to what you find despicable. Johnson and his cohort perhaps?

I can only assume that my photo upsets you more than what the 160K are about to inflict on the 67 million.

Fair enough.

2 Likes

I was more concerned that you thought they may be happy. :confused:

1 Like

Touché :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

“Fat, Dumb and Happy” You must be bored Mr Scully or are you being your provocative self. Surely attacks on people’s intellect and physicality just because you disagree with their politics is a bar too low even for you.

1 Like

Is this another of these ‘political threads’ that I keep reading about?

5 Likes

Goodness Pippein are we all going to remain silent on this shitfest in the home of our birth? The term, fat, dumb and happy encapsulates perfectly the smug bastards who are holding 67 million people to ransom IMHO.

True, posting on SFA had zero impact on anything, but it is, for me at least, therapeutic. How can people put up with this? Let alone turn a blind eye.

1 Like

Yes, but in the correct category. AKA Politics.

1 Like

Just making sure - I like to be clear about what I’m reading.

1 Like

Yes Wozza, but it seems one cannot post political matters in the the political topic anymore and even posting less scathing criticism of the dross than the Press gets one slated.

No wonder the Country is in shit.

Just as an aside, did anybody bother read the article I posted a link to? Does anybody have any comments to make about it?

Paywall @John_Scully

2 Likes

Well John, that’s a real shame. That’s what the category is for and many members participate and can gain an (when it’s not just slagging off) education in politics.
I particularly enjoy reading most of Geof Coxs analysis and personal experience, some of yours too.

2 Likes

I did - it just seems to catalogue the country’s woes but does not offer a cause or a suggested resolution - just the observation that people won’t remember it being quite as bad as it is for the sole reason that the retrospectoscope has a habit of being rose tinted.

Utterly useless article as far as I could see.

Me too.

1 Like

Fair enough, but you did read it and I appreciate your feedback.

One of my many concerns about the UK, is that looking back over the past half century or so of my adult life, the public sector has been deteriorating throughout that time (typical angry old man’s rant) The only interruption in that decline was the impact of Heritage Lottery funding (from which I and many other individuals and institutions benefitted). However, it seems that since 2008 or so the pace of deterioration has rapidly increased.

Everything has been cut back to the bone, by successive Tory and Labour governments, so does this bone regenerate or is it a wonder that there’s anything left ? Or maybe they’re now down to the marrow - and what happens when that too is used up? A dry hollow bone to suck on?) . Meanwhile, primary infrastructures are no longer properly maintained or renewed, public services are unable to cope and the privatised former public utilities reward shareholders rather than upgrade their basic facilities.

I spent my entire career in HE, bar a year in the private sector and one as a self-employed public artist, and looking back, the rot seems to have set in in the late 1970s, and been largely downhill ever since. Won’t bore you with accounts of the replacement of experienced practititioners and scholars with ‘managers’, the decreasing length of the teaching year perversely reflecting the contrasting absurd rises in in formerly subsidised student tuition fees.

Brexit is only part of a much larger delusion where tiny little UK has decided to adopt US models rather than those of its more similar European neighbours.

4 Likes

Good points Mark. I’ve watched as the once great corporation I worked for has been hollowed out by a maniacal focus on increasing “shareholder value” which was driven by executive share options.

I fnd it difficult to accept the same short term hit and run in politics, whereby a quick lie today can impact millions for decades.

IMHO what’s lacking is accountability.

2 Likes