Alternatives to EDF

We are one of 53 mobile homes on a lovely site in Charente Maritime. We all have individual meters which connect to a main meter at the park entrance. Current electrical utilities are supplied by EDF. This is a licenced residential site, however EDF refuse to recognise this and cap the price rise to 15% in 2023. They insist we are a business and as a result have more than doubled our 2023 prices. Even the local mairie cannot convince them.

Any advise would be appreciated. What competitors are there in the region?

Interestingā€¦

Iā€™m guessing that each mobile home has a private meter & that the only PDL (Point de Livraison) attributable to EDF would be the main one at the entrance. Thatā€™s certainly the way a park local to me works.

If Iā€™m right then I can see that EDF would classify the park operators as a business.

If each private mobile home has itā€™s own PDL then there would not be a meter elsewhere. Each home could therefore choose their own electricity supplier.

Clearly I could be way off with my assumptions here.

You are absolutely correct with your assumptions Badger

@badger In this case then, can the site owners recharge the electricity consumption at whatever rate they wish or are there restrictions on pricing? Does the OP have to tackle the site owner or seek other redress elsewhere?

The site is operated as a non profit making residents association, and therefore there is no mark up of the incoming electric.

That would be illegal anyway, as you cannot resell electricity. See this extract from the CGV of EDF.

3-2 Titulaire du contrat

Lors de la souscription du contrat, EDF demande le nom du ou des clients. Cette information est reprise sur la premieĢ€re facture.
Le contrat de fourniture dā€™eĢlectriciteĢ est valable uniquement pour le point de livraison consideĢreĢ. Lā€™eĢlectriciteĢ livreĢe aĢ€ ce titre ne peut en aucun cas eĢ‚tre ceĢdeĢe aĢ€ des tiers, meĢ‚me gratuitement.

As the site is operated as a non profit making association, would there be any concession for its status as an association (as opposed to either business or residential) ?

Or alternatively, could the association invest in wind or solar - exploring government subsidies, interest-free loans, etc ?

We are looking at the solar panel option Geoff, however in the meantime the EDF increases are biting hard. We are exploring every avenue possible but no luck so far

1 Like