Am I entitled to NI treatment if I fall ill in UK?

This s came about due to my taking the French authorities to the European Commission because they refused me access to treatment in UK solely on the grounds that I was a UK retiree in the French health system.
The UK then changed its agreement with tge EU, it cost them less money and we got access to NHS treatment in UK.

ehic card? the euro health card? thought they became invalid after you took up residency as they are only temporary.

@anon54681821 and @RedGiant

If you are a UK pensioner with the S1 form that you have “registered” with whichever country you take up Residence … (ie France to get the Carte Vitale)… then the UK will issue you with the EHIC which entitles you to treatment in the UK.

Thus the UK Pensioner who lives in France has the same Health rights (in UK) as any other UK pensioner who still lives in the UK. Personally, I would not choose to go to UK for Health stuff, but if I am ill while I am visiting my family there, I will be covered.

Does this make sense… I hope so… 'cos that is how things stand at the moment.

1 Like

Anyone who is in the French system with a Carte Vitale… (without registering the UK form S1)… well, they have to apply to France for a Carte Européene d’Assurance Maladie (CEAM)… which is the French equivalent of the UK EHIC European Health Insurance Card.

My original query has been answered and if anyone wants more information, I suggest they pose their question as a New Topic.

EHIC. Cards are for emergency treatment only.

Hi Jane…

Quite correct…for UK Residents… the EHIC covers emergency treatment when they are visiting countries in EU and EAA…

In my case, I am French Resident and a UK Pensioner, my EHIC comes from UK and I am entitled to return to England to receive free NHS treatment etc… if I so wished.

2 Likes

ahhh so its just for Uk health cover. I misunderstood.

Actually Harry… it’s also for emergency treatment in the other EU/EEA countries I might visit…

In France, where I am resident, I use my Carte Vitale.

1 Like

wonder how that will change once UK is not in the EU… since its a eu card

Harry… as the UK has taken responsibility for my Health… (UK Pensioner, paid my stamp all my life)… there is no reason things should change after Brexit.

yes but doubt an EU card will be valid they will have to negotiate something for that im sure, or change its name.

Your covered in france with the vitale so all is good and the health cover as a UK pensioner will continue its just the travel to other parts that will be in doubt.

I am covered by an S1, and I go back every six months for dental check ups/ treatment if necessary, and eye tests/ examinations for my contact lenses etc.
I only get charged Nhs rates for my dental care.
Basically, if you’ve paid in contributions for your whole working life up to pension age, you are entitled to NHS care.
Don’t know how it works for younger ex-pats, or whether anything will change after the B word, tho. . .

glad it works for you Joy… but I don’t go to the UK very often. (as little as possible)…I was just curious what would happen if/when I did…:grin:

Joy, only if you have an S1.

it works the same for all Immigrants from the UK.

If you paid taxes you are entitled to health care for up to a period after you leave.

S1 form is for people on a pension who have retired out here.

2.4. S1 Health Cover for Retired Persons
For the purposes of this section we define a ‘retired person’ as someone of the age of retirement of their country of origin, who exercises no professional activity, and who is in receipt of a State Pension from their home EEA country.

We also include in this category those persons under the age of retirement, but in receipt of long term incapacity benefit.

If you propose to run a business in France, then you will not be eligible for an S1, even though of retirement age, as you will be insured through your business.

If you are relocating from within the EEA and you are retired and in receipt of a state pension, or you suffer from long term incapacity then, in order to register with the French health system, you will need to bring with you Form S1 certificate of entitlement from the social security authority in your home country.

This form should be presented to your local French health authority, the Caisse Primaire d’Assurance Maladie.

Those from the UK should contact the International Pension Centre, Tyneview Park, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE98 1BA, United Kingdom.

As a retired person, if you have an S1 you will continue to benefit indefinitely from free health insurance cover in France.

However, the use of the S1 does not mean you will get free health care in France. It simply means that you will not need to pay into the French social security system or to take out private health insurance in order to obtain health cover,

The use of the S1 also means that you are not formally affiliated to the French health system, which means that you get exemption from the payment of social charges on your pension income. In effect, your health cover is being paid for through reciprocal arrangements in place within Europe; only those actually affiliated to the French health system pay these charges on their pension.

As the French health system only covers a percentage of basic health charges, ranging from 35% at the bottom end to 100% for major illnesses, if you wish to ensure all your costs are met you will need to take out voluntary (‘top up’) health insurance.

Even then, you will be responsible for paying some residual costs that are not picked up by either the social security or most voluntary health insurance systems.

So do not assume an S1 picks up all your health costs; it does not.

2.4.1 Permanent Incapacity
The rules governing entitlement to UK long term incapacity benefit have changed in recent years, with the abolition of Incapacity Benefit and it’s replacement by ‘Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)’.

The benefit is exportable to France, although claimants are required to demonstrate a satisfactory national insurance record, and all claimants in France will be required to go through a periodic ‘Work Capability Assessment’ by a French doctor.

A person on incapacity benefit is likely to be entitled to receive full reimbursement of all the medical costs relating to their condition, provided it is classified as a Affection de Longue Durée – (ALD) by the medical authorities.

Similarly, anyone who suffers from a long-term or major illness is likely to find that 100% of costs in relation to the treatment of this illness are covered by the French social security system, provided it is also on the list of affections de longue durée – (ALD).

Hope this helps.

The question was about cover in the UK.
As a retiree with an S1 you are now entitled to the same benefits as you would have if you live in the UK.
You will need to find a GP and also each Health Authority works differently.
You can have a free eye test in UK if you are over 60 and live abroad.
If you can find a national health dentist you are also allowed to benefit from that.
This has all come about because the UK has changed its status within the EU agreements regarding health.
This came from the work I did to challenge the decision of the French health authorities to deny me access to NHS treatment solely because I was a UK retiree within the French health system.
Sir Graham Watson, who was then my MEP and the overseas health team of the DHS worked hard on our behalf because we all recognised that this decision affected all UK retirees.
I would add that the British Embassy was worse than useless and did not recognise that this was not a personal case.

2 Likes