Amazing things about the UK

Probably related to the “Chant de guerre pour l’Armée du Pain” :wink:

1 Like

Think that’s a too sophisticated pun for this place - Maurs is renowned for its small gene pool!

If that is a reply to me.
They are part of the pennine way in Debyshire white peak for the limestone and millstone grit for the dark peak.
Sorry they are of course north of watford😃

Well, they wouldn’t have enough room for them down South!

Ha ha… it was a general observation/enquiry… not everyone knows Toosie… only (perhaps) an elite group. :wink: certainly nothing to do with Derbyshire… :wink:

Even if you have lounge access the standard is notably spartan across France so you’re generally not missing much.

Flying First Class on Air France out of Paris is, apparently, a completely elevated French lounge experience and there are a couple of others at CDG(Roissy) which are not bad such as the Cathay Pacific lounge (think it’s still closed, sadly) and I’ve heard the new Star Alliance lounge at CDG is OK.

1 Like

I remember being an AF Frequent Flyer and returning to S Africa from Manchester on my usual overnight flight - the best connection - if you’re on the port side you can witness sunrise over the mudflats of the Zambesi. A sublime experience.

However, one time we left M/c late due to fog and I was dreading missing my connection down to Jo’burg. In the event, when we landed at CDG there was a taxi waiting at the foot of the steps frpm the plane and I was rushed across the tarmac to my connecting flight. At the top of the steps a stewardess greeted me, Bon soir professeur, champagne? and handed me a flute. I then discovered that I’d been upgraded, and it was the best flight ever -eleven hours of pampered luxury!

And i didn’t mind being on the wrong side of the plane for dawn over the Zambesi.

4 Likes

Love the way SF threads can drift, Amazing things about the UK has shifted to posts about AF!

2 Likes

That may be my fault!!!

The AF lounges in 2E and now the new one in 2F are pretty good. Better (in my opinion) than the BA one in T5 at Heefrow.

Virgin Upper Class Lounges for the win. Just be careful in the SFO one as it’s before security and dealing with TSA staff is tough enough when you’re sober.

Jealous. And in the words of one of my former colleagues who was a very frequent longhaul flyer for work “Complimentary **** j*b awaits”

We stayed a couple of times in Walberswick back in the '80s. We were friends with CF’s niece, and she owned the ‘hidden hut’ just off the green.

1 Like

At LHR T5 it’s the B one you need (even the Plaza Premium has gone down in quality)… I doubt I will ever go back to flying each week again but I wasn’t that much a fan of the T5 North one. I set foot in the T5 South one once and ran screaming from the beer hall atmosphere (after having grabbed an armful of newspapers from there which seemed to be that lounge’s only redeeming feature), and tried to make the 5B one my home thereafter. T2 is an oasis by comparison, and of course T3 seems to have the best ones.

AF lounge access in Paris… I can only dream.

1 Like

Who remembers Duxford ?? … a wonderful place for adults and kids alike.

and the dockyards at Chatham ??? wow… just typing that, has brought back images of some super times… way back when… Chatham Navy Days, what fun we kids had above and below the water…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYesSbNoCc0

1 Like

I’m on a nostalgia-roll now…
Open Day at HMS Ganges with Dad and my brothers… marvellous fun…

Back in the '60’s… some of the Walberswick youngsters would row across the river Blyth and enjoy a visit to Southwold (away from parental gaze) innocent fun was still possible then… not so sure about nowadays.
Happy memories… of summer evenings… laughing and joking with pals from across the water.

Each to his/her frequent flyer scheme I suppose!!!

I hardly ever get to go in BA lounges, as I’ve never been gold there and don’t often fly business class with them!

Only one I was ever a member of was the BOAC Junior Jets, and very proud when I got my gold wings! But you have to be of a certain age to appreciate that!

2 Likes

Wainwright’s Coast to Coast footpath. Brilliant. His little handbook even more so.

3 Likes