Amazon vs Visa

You miss the point Tim. Its not a spate between Visa and Amazon, it a spate between greedy Visa and all the vendors that use their services. Luckily Amazon has the might to take them on, unlike small retailers. A sensible Government wouldn’t allow a service provider jack up their fees by an unjustifiable 400%. Likewise they should not accept greedy Telcos reintroducing roaming charges. I would also have expected that safeguards against a rush of snouts to the Brexit trough hitting British residents would have been part of the Brexit planning. Brexit planning :joy:

1 Like

So why did you title the thread Amazon v VISA?

Seems to me you’re just miffed that this will affect you personally. :wink:

FFS Tim :slightly_smiling_face:

I can understand why you’re not happy John, your credit card company tries to benefit from Brexit by raising it’s charges, it gets binned by Amazon (who you probably use) but you know the UK government (who you loathe) aren’t going to intervene, I’d be livid too. :grinning:

My UK CC is a Mastercard.

Tim, you call it "tries to benefit”, I call it exploitation. I’m not livid, I’ve a good selection of EU debit and credit cards, the UK one is really only important for the Apple AppStore. But I am outraged that Visa thinks it can treat its clients, big and small, with contempt because of Brexit. Aren’t you?

Almost glad I’m not rich enough to afford a Credit Card… :roll_eyes: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

I never pay any of them a penny in interest and all apart from my French bank ones have no annual charge :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Of course they won’t intervene, because they caused it. They could, and should, have left the fee where it was, but of course nothing in the U.K. at this point can be the same as the EU so it had to change, and of course changed to the benefit of banks primarily, not just Visa as although they will keep a chunk they will also give a chunk to the card issuing bank. There are at least 3 villains here, and in the U.K. situation at least, none of them are the retailer which as has already been said is a little ironic when you’re dealing with a company such as Amazon who are rather villainous in just about every other way.

2 Likes

I live in France John and am more interested in what happens here than anything else, the fact that some companies have taken advantage of being free from EU regulations is hardly a surprise.

Well Tim, if you are uninterested in the UK, why do you keep responding to my comments on the UK? :joy:

To coin one of your favourite phrases, I think it’s important to ‘call out’ posts that are not true or exaggerated. :wink:

While I have a lot of sympathy for the view that EU membership prevented the UK government from some of its worst tendencies and this being one of them, it sadly was not enough to stop the UK from allowing banks to collude in raising overdraft charges to rates that are almost Wonga-level, even for agreed overdrafts. That latter twist was a hopeless attempt to prevent the vulnerable being targeted (when the reason the rise was supposedly justified was the higher risk of that very group). Effectively, the banks said “Right, if we can’t discriminate then we will penalise everyone.”

In topsy-turvy UK with near zero base rates, the cost of overdraft financing is double that of credit card debt. Not that such trivialities bother the likes of Jacob Rees-Mogg, who borrowed £6m at near zero rates from his mates.

But, yeah, not sure how Australia and Singapore feature in this discussion at all. Bottom line: Brexit makes life worse for Britons but the Tory govt was hell-bent on making it worse even before leaving - Brexit just makes the Wonga-lit sunny uplands much easier!

2 Likes

i was going for a long stay visa might go for a long stay MasterCard if its cheaper. :flushed:

1 Like

Get a debit card… works fine for me… :hugs:

1 Like

There are times when money management means that the interest free credit period of my Barclaycard matters. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I well understand … been there, done that…

An update - Amazon UK will now continue to accept VISA debit cards.
Extracted from an email received this morning:

*The expected change regarding the use of Visa credit cards on Amazon.co.uk will no longer take place on January 19. We are working closely with Visa on a potential solution that will enable customers to continue using their Visa credit cards on Amazon.co.uk. *

Should we make any changes related to Visa credit cards, we will give you advance notice. Until then, you can continue to use Visa credit cards, debit cards, Mastercard, American Express, and Eurocard as you do today.

PayPal?