Anglo French Law Anyone have any experience?

Has anyone used Anglo French Law of Newcastle to assist with their purchase of a property in France?

Can’t give you any advice on Anglo French Law but we used Heslopp & Platt http://www.heslop-platt.co.uk/ - they were OK but it does add quite a bit to the costs.

Hi Anne… just wondering why your are thinking of using a UK company… ???

1 Like

We’re still in UK starting the house buying process. To be honest we didn’t give much thought to using a French firm. I suppose we thought it would be helpful to go and see someone face to face if there were problems.

It will be a French Notaire who handles the Sale/Purchase for a French property…and there are those who speak English… (if that is necessary)…

In my view, involving a UK company might simply complicate/delay matters…

3 Likes

Interesting comment, Stella. Thank you. Why do you say it?
I am nigh on fluent in French, but I am not a lawyer, let alone one versed in the french system. Even if the notaire translates I don’t know the significance of arreté X or code Y.

Also forgot to mention that the Notaire omitted from the compromis the one clause suspensive we requested . So someone on our side seemed a good move. Hope that helps explain where we’re coming from .

Presumably you did not sign the Compromis until the clause suspensive was included. That Notaire was (presumably) chosen by the Seller… but will not have omitted the clause for any dark purpose… :wink:

You can choose your own Notaire…if you wish…and with your French language skills you should have no problem whatsoever.

In my experience, the Notaires bend over backwards to ensure that every t is crossed and i dotted… and every syllable is understood by all parties.

Most house sales in France are carried out without a solicitor, the Notaire acts on behalf of the government to ensure the paperwork is in order.

I’m sure my sale never mentioned any Orders or Decrees or Codes or anything like that…! or if it did, it must have included the full text of the code, because certainly there was nothing at all obscure in there, I was pleasantly surprised and impressed at how understandable it all was. Property transaction documents aren’t written for lawyers, they’re written for ordinary people to understand, with the notaire there to provide any clarification they need.

As Stella says a French Notaire will have to handle the transfer of title, there’s no way round that.

As to reasons why to retain an English solicitor - really because the role of the solicitor in an English property transaction is a bit different to that of a Notaire.

I confess that my experience of French property transactions is a single very straightforward one but I get the impression that, where there is a single Notaire, they are not really on anybody’s side (except their own) and their main concern is that the title is sound and it is correctly transferred.

Perhaps if you retain your own Notaire they do a bit more “fighting your corner”.

We found retaining an English firm with experience of French law useful in explaining how things work in France - like Anne we were complete neophytes in that regard. They were less useful in the fighting our corner aspect but perhaps that was because, as I said, the transaction could not have been more straightforward - single owner, clear title, just one parcel on the cadastral plans, no easments, rights of way or anything agricultural involved.

It did add a fair bit to the legal costs though.

Thank you everyone for your comments. However, I’m really more interested in whether any Survive France member has had any experience of the firm Anglo French Law, based in Newcastle.

Thanks in advance.

This is their lengthy Disclaimer page… needs careful reading I would think…

I was surprised to see… “Anglo French Law is not a firm of solicitors regulated by the Law Society of England and Wales.”

http://www.anglofrenchlaw.co.uk/disclaimer.htm

Good spot thank you.

I was interested in the various comments about how straightforward the compromis has been for some folks. Our draft runs to 26 pages and has a number of sections where French law is quoted. Is this normal?

We haven’t signed yet because the clause suspensive hasn’t been agreed. (We need planning permission for an extension. ) And the vendor has made a statement in it which we think might be factually incorrect. So we are unsure how to proceed.

You should contact the Notaire and discuss the matter directly IMHO.

just ask the notaire to include the clause suspensive and make any other alterations you need. I bought a plot once, CU granted but I had a clause suspensive put in that if full planning wasn’t granted I could pull out. the notaire didn’t see the relevance but thatk god I did, planning was turned down and I could pull out with no penalties. You’re buying so get what you want put in the compromis. No need for a uk firm or anything apart from the notaire IMHO (I’ve bought and sold many times in France, almost always privately) :wink:

3 Likes

No, but I can recommend @Guillaume_Barlet-Bat

1 Like

Hi Annie, yes we used them. Marcel will no doubt remember us as ours was a very complex and drawn out purchase! We didn’t meet in person as we live in Cornwall.
He was knowledgable and did what he said he would, for the amount he quoted us (even though it took an awful lot more time and effort than initially expected)
We purchased using viager system with vacant possession and no bouquet!
I’m happy to answer any specific queries you have if I can!
Karen

1 Like

Hi
We used them 3 years ago and found them very helpful and reasonably priced.

1 Like

Anne,

We also used Anglo French for our house purchase and were in general, happy that we did. They were able to sort out a variety of issues that we would have been left to recify after completion.

If you would like more specific details, then by all means PM me.

Chris

1 Like