Anonymous suggestion tin!

TBH - I don't think we have that many knuckle grazers on SFN David, but we do have a lot of awfully nice members who get fed up with the same old people banging on. And leaving no room for discussion either :(

Well said Hilary the knuckle grazers gazette (which seems off line for exciting improvements. Wouldn't that be great) is available for the whingers.

Please don't go Norman. I don't always agree with you but I would miss your contributions . It seems there are some sensitive flowers around. As for reducing the length of posts which I believe has been suggested ----- well if people are put off by something longer than the average Sun op-ed perhaps they should be the ones to take a hike. Oooh sorry.

@ Norman - why do you think that? I don't think ( am pretty sure) any one has mentioned your name ?

We really don't want to lose any members and would especially hate for anyone to feel they 'had' to go.

And 'hear, hear' for Hilary's point re differing opinions. That's what makes the world go round! As long as everyone posting is polite and respectful of others and ideally (!), sensitive to other SFN member's sensibilities, I / we / admin don't have a problem.

Feel free to PM me or James if you'd like a chat?

Cx

And hear hear again (or is that re-hear?) apart from the jam recipes because I can't cook but diversity is always good. Norman, don't leave, especially if based on a misconception that you're a "main offender". I hope no-one's suggested that you are.

Hear, hear ! Carl.

Norman, please don't go.....Someone is suffering from a sense of humour failure..don't pander to this....

I can't understand what the fuss is about...Surely we're all 'grown -up' enough to allow people to voice differing opinions ?

As with T.V., one has a choice whether one tunes in or not...We need, from time to time, vigorous debate,especially at this time, with potential Brexit on the horizon where even the politicians don't appear to know what is on the cards....and when they don't actually present the arguments for and against very coherently....I'm still not sure which way that I am going to vote when the time comes, but I do feel a bit better informed now, partly via these discussions.

Surely we don't want a SFN where all we do is swap jam recipies and our problems with French bureaucracy...

It would be a terrible shame if a member of the network who actually posts were to leave because of the hurt feelings of members who would never normally say a dickiebird.

Having a network of 7500 mostly silent members would be the end of SFN.

I reckon about 1 in 200 members post.

Thanks for the positive feedback :) I will fix the map asap too

I would say well done to Terry for the diplomatic way in which he has presented the results (so far?)

As one of the apparently main offenders in the 'vigorous' areas of complaint, it has also confirmed my own views that SFN is not the site for me. The name of SFN is probably correct and really covers what most/many participants want.

It is not what I want, and that is my problem obviously - BUT is a problem to others.

As such I bid a fond farewell to SFN. I wish it well for the future, but I will be seeking out other areas of participation. I cannot speak for others but I do feel that IF my decision is reflective of similar 'bullies', I do believe a fountainhead of information could also disappear, albeit of a 'wordy' kind.

Good luck with it all.

I've hit a similar problem. I've tried to open an account in UK and been refused. I've simply been told that because i am not a resident, i cannot have a UK account. Despite having proof from a solicitor and government department, proving where the money has come from. All blamed on the regulations re money laundering. HSBC and Barclays will let me have an offshore account, but only if i keep a minimum of 25000 pounds in the account ! I've given up on UK altogether now.

I think you're doing a wonderful job!

Couple of thoughts: couldn't seem to find the members map easily, then the link seemed to be broken when I finally did.

I agree the threads are difficult to follow sometimes, especially if something's been added recently to a long-running discussion.

Probably just me, being new to such sites.........anything which eases use is great with me!

Easily done, Trish, but you grabbed it in time.

Just a reminder to everyone, if you click on the GREEN LINK at the top of the page in James's post anything you wish to say will be received by James and Catharine with no sender information attached so there is complete anonymity. Any improvements you'd like, any suggestions you have, fire away.

oops, wrong form!

I added my new Wife to my accounts, still operate all my accounts in the UK with my French address and totally agree that the law is a bit of an ass . I asked nicely if the bank, building society,credit cad companies, wanted my business or not, and the proceeds from my house sale on deposit , or not ...and all has been hunky dory for 11 years . I keep raising my credit limit on the cards and all is OK . Ask and it may be given ?

I think you are doing a good job, but there are far too any “moaning minnies” people who have chosen to live here and then complain because they can’t get English food. Won’t pay for a notaire etc etc. can you places tell folk that France is not the promised land, not paved with gold. Not always summer holidays and ex pat life.

I don’t know how you can do this, but good luck!

Some great suggestions have come in so far, they are all being seen by the admin team and we will be taking positive action. Some are already underway!

Please keep them coming!

Thanks

James (Community Manager)

Alongside the 'reply' option at the bottom of each post consider having a like/dislike tick box option.

Sometimes we 'take the bait' when an agent provocateur posts a comment that invites reaction . The reaction can obviously lead to a lively and useful debate. But at other times the discussion degenerates into anger , frustration and upset.

Maybe, just ticking the 'dislike' box would be a prefereable option if one feels that their point of view is going nowhere?

Great idea!

I’ve had this too John (though not with Natwest) and the excuse was one could no longer convert a single accont into a dual account and visa versa so a new account has to be opened and the old one closed, if one chooses.

We al make a belated New Years resolution that we commit ourselves to keeping

BE SUPPORTIVE OF EACH OTHER!

I did not contribute to the Calais discussions but I am not surprised some subscribers were left in tears. We are, thankfully, individuals with our own unique life experiences. Rather than snide, stab in the back, insult, demean; if tempted to do so a simple "this is where I am coming from" opens up the debate. When facilitating discussions I saw my role to provide a safe environment and elicit contributions from all. There are no right or wrongs, BECAUSE, "les pouvoirs": censor the facts, hide their true agenda. Through mutual support we can collectively ask better questions and strive for a more comprehensive view of the issues.