Another loss to Coronavirus

2 Likes

Very sad to hear of his death.

However he is one who falls (along with, say, Des Oā€™Connor) into the category ā€œgosh, was he still alive?ā€

He was only 94ā€¦not 124.

2 Likes

Iā€™m sorry, I am not being ageist but ā€˜onlyā€™ 94? Really?

2 Likes

If he was a healthy 94 heā€™d have another 3-4 years life expectancy on average, had he not contracted Covid.

Iā€™m with Jane on this one. Natural lifespan with optimal health is 120 years. Unfortunately almost no-one has optimal health, they are just barely ā€œnot sickā€ most of the time.

If he was a healthy 94 maybe heā€™d have survived?
ā€œCoronavirus: Cheers as 94-year-old recovers from COVID-19 in Spain | World News | Sky Newsā€ Coronavirus: Cheers as 94-year-old recovers from COVID-19 in Spain | World News | Sky News

Maybe 110, but thereā€™s a lot of genetics involved.

I donā€™t know dā€™Estaingā€™s state of health but it does not follow that because he succumbed he was unhealthy. Elderly people with health problems have survived, healthy individuals (of all ages) have died.

As to maximum longevity - there is debate what the limit is but I suspect that it is not 120 years - certainly not for everyone. Even if you donā€™t smoke, donā€™t drink, keep your weight down and take plenty of exercise you can still fall to cancer, dementia and any number of other ailments which are genetically ā€œprogrammed inā€ for some people.

1 Like

Ah, but I would question what is meant by ā€œhealthyā€. Most people these days lead far from truly healthy lives.
We have lost all sense of what an optimal weight for a human being is.
Fitness is now an optional extra / hobby which people pay for and wear strange clothes doing.
Our diet is calamitous. Even if we believe we are eating ā€œhealthyā€ foods they are hugely depleted in vitamins and minerals and trace elements.
We have poured harmful chemicals into our environments and our unborn children.
We live in a soup of EMR.
We lead appallingly stressful lives where anxiety, depression and anger are now the norm and we seek addictive and medical solutions for the suppression of these emotions.

No wonder our immune systems are compromised and seemingly healthy people die. ā€œHealthā€ at best, in our modern world, is absence of pain and sickness. That is not health.

2 Likes

Maybe I am being thick,but if thatā€™s the case why are people living longer than they did years ago,when there were less environmental factors affecting longevity?

1 Like

Because weā€™ve learnt to manage the childhood diseases so far fewer people die young (bear in mind these statistics are averages) and weā€™ve learnt to keep people living longer without any thought for the quality of their lives. My MiL spent her last eight years in a nursing home after a bad stroke following a routine hip replacement op. The kindest thing for her would have been a good dose of pneumonia, but of course we donā€™t let that happen anymore.
On the whole, in the western world at least, working conditions are greatly improved. (Look at the statistics for deaths in salt mines in earlier times - you donā€™t have to go back far.)
Fewer people smoke.
We have medicalised long life, so people are kept alive who have/have had cancer, high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, etc etc. What we have not learnt to do is to live healthfully and optimally so that disease is kept at bay.

and sometimes not helped by doddery old nonagenarians and centenarians who claim their secret to eternal life is a tot (or two) of risky whiskey before going to bed :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Yes Sue you described our world

1 Like

The only fly in the ointment, The Rolling Stones :grin:

And that may well be true - the key thing in all of this is our mind - if we believe we will live forever on that nightly tot of whisky we probably will.

This was in response to paul saying ā€œwas he still aliveā€ā€¦it was only a couple of years ago that he was leading a programme to re-imagine Europe so was still in the news. And even more recently for fondling a journalistā€™s bottom, but thatā€™s much less laudable.

It was supposed to be in jest you know :slight_smile:

I hadnā€™t noted that he was in the news recently - but, then, that is probably something to do with the British mediaā€™s lack of interest in European affairs.

Our 94 year old neighbour still runs his own sheep farmā€¦ does his own laundry (and irons it)ā€¦ mostly does his own cooking and has a wonderful sense of humourā€¦ he seems ageless :hugs:

Yes, but they are not 124 - they just look 124 :smiling_imp:

5 Likes