Anto-Virus advice please

I suppose not, :wink: Iā€™ve hated Windows since it sat on top of DOS. Of course DOS should never have existed either. A woofer from day one. IBM had a perfectly adequate single user OS, CMS, that they should have migrated from the mainframe and used. Bloody interdepartmental rivalry and battles did a lot of damage to IBM in those days, and in this case made Microsoft and Intel the corporations they are today. Not to mention Oracle, Amdahl, Dell, STC, etc. etc. Meanwhile IBM languishes :roll_eyes:

I donā€™t care if itā€™s Unix or Linux or MacOS once itā€™s not bleedinā€™ Windows :joy:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve W11 running in a Parallels virtual machine under MacOS 12 (Monterey). I had to get rid of my W7 and W10 virtual machines as they donā€™t run on Apple silicon so replaced them with W11. I think itā€™s better than W10, a clean up but not much more. But I donā€™t use it a lot, just for a handful of trivial legacy apps that wonā€™t run on Mac.

Iā€™d meant to write W11.

My photo processing workstation runs W10 because the software I run wonā€™t work under wine on Linux and a VM is a waste of resources. Iā€™ve no prejudice against any of the OS available, though I wish there was less telemetry with the commercial options.

But along with that clean up you are committed to new hardware and canā€™t install it without a M$ account - so itā€™s firmly in ā€œnot yetā€ as far as I am concerned.

I donā€™t have a Windows partition on this machine, and am not currently missing much.

Iā€™m not suggesting running an emulator (which is essentially what wine is)ā€¦ but using a live USB which runs Windoze natively which preserves your primary OS intact :wink:

1 Like

No youā€™re not at all. If W7 and W10 had continued to run on new Macs I wouldnā€™t have bothered. I downloaded W11 as a developer :joy: from my Roger Lapin account I think.

That can only degrade performance and would waste the money I spent on a 4th Gen NVME drive from which to run the OS and applications, as well as store the working image files. Like I said, itā€™s a work station, and the OS doesnā€™t matter as long as it will run the software. I might have built a hackintosh, but OSX scatters crap across the hard drive with their sidecar file management, and TBH Iā€™m even less keen to use that for something serious. Windows is the right OS for the job, properly installed and running as the main OS, and trying to do something else would be cutting off my nose to spite my face.

FWIW I use Adobe Lightroom for image development and DRM, On1 photoraw for pixel-level editing, Nik effects suite for additional processing and occasionally DXO Optics Pro. There are OSS alternatives, but they simply arenā€™t as good and are not worth the trouble, with the exception of GIMP which I use for swapping colour channels when processing IR images.

In the end itā€™s just a tool. Use it or use something else, but not worth getting all tribal over.

I purchased my Lenovo in January 21 and i havenā€™t renewed MacAfee and it drives me mad with constant pop ups so i know what your going through there must be a way of stopping it, hopefully someone on here will tell us how,

Just deinstall it.

Probably either by typing deinstall into the bottom left Windows box and following it from there, or

I still prefer Control Panel so thatā€™s what Iā€™d type in first then find my way to Install/Deinstall then select McAfee from there to deinstall.

Then it may take a reboot.

Control panel>add/remove software>uninstall.

You may have to download a special tool from the McAfee website to completely remove it.

Yes, I have decided to do that and have a list of the steps to do so, but I am told that it might not work completely and need the special MacAfee tool.
What a crap company, after being told endlessly that they are not wanted why on earth do they think constant bullying will change minds, rather than determine people to avoid at all costs?

I think I have done it Clive, it was fairly painless and we will see if it is totally successful or not or if I have to download a tool to do it again.
If you havenā€™t sorted it yet and want the steps to do so, I can reprint them here for you.

1 Like

Just one thing @David_Spardo , when a commercial anti virus is installed, like McAfee, it can turn off the built in Windows Defender. When you uninstalled McAfee, it may not have been enabled again. If it hasnā€™t been re enabled, there should be a small picture of a shield in the taskbar somewhere. If itā€™s not there then youā€™ll be OK, but if there is the little picture of a shield, click on it and it will guide you through re enabling windows defender, if it needs doing.

1 Like

Thanks Hairbear, didnā€™t occur to me. However, there was no shield but I checked Windows Security anyway and all was ok except for App and Browser control. I have now switched that back on. :wink:

Thanks David i deleted it yesterday after the advice from KarenLot and it hasnā€™t popped up since and hopefully sorted :crossed_fingers: