Any cheerful news today? (Nothing negative please! šŸ™‚)

50 years ago today 2 teenagers met in the best pub in Sheffield at that time called the Buccaneer. Our eyes met as the floor shook when the entire throng were singing Hi Ho Silver Lining, Next week we celebrate our 46th wedding anniversary.

12 Likes

Which trike have you got? Is it electric?

Its an Evasion, made by a French company near Marseille from where I fetched it 2 years ago. It has a 5 level electric motor on the front hub and 7-speed derailleur gears on the rear. Weather permitting I do the 1 km circuit from my house twice a day before swimming in the pond. In the morning in the shade I do the 2 10% hills and then the long descent through trees to return, 9 km/hr on the first hill and 8 on the 2nd which has a steeper bit towards the end, and up to 32 km/hr (scary with no engine breaking) on the long downgrade. When it is hot, like now I do it the other way round which avoids the 2 steep bits in full sun.

Congratulations to Mr. & Mrs. JohnBoy. :grinning:

1 Like

Cool. That sounds like a quite powerful electric motor.

Iā€™m looking at a cargo tricycle from Babboe that produces 70Nm force but I donā€™t know if even that is enough for the hills around here.

1 Like

Congratulations to you both.

I donā€™t know what the power is but there is a big drop from 5 to 4. Climbing the long loop just now in 4th gear level 4 I was doing well till just before the top when I began to flag. So I put it up to 5 and the thing fairly surged forward. I have noticed before when in 7th gear and 5 on the flat, a drop to level 4 almost feels as if I have put the brakes on. That was experimental though, without a headwind in 7th gear on the flat I would peg it right down to level 1.

Only one word of warning with a trike, they are more unstable than a bike because you canā€™t lean them into bends or across gradients, the only way is to lean your body way outboard to keep upright. I have had several tumbles. :wink:

1 Like

What a lovely story :heart_eyes:

Havenā€™t really believed it but mum has already left Singapore bound for Paris. Collecting her at 9.15 from Bx tomorrow :heart_eyes: 4 long years :cry:

16 Likes

What great news Tory, I only wish she could bring my Mum with her. :rofl:
Have a really good reunion. :joy:
Only half an hour to go. :wink: :grinning:

1 Like

Absolutely delighted as just received my temporary carte grise for my ā€˜previouslyā€™ UK registered car, thanks to another great job by @anon90504988 :partying_face: :partying_face:

Yet another thing to get ticked off the list, and a another smashing efficient service by Mark :+1: :+1: :+1:

Very happy! :grinning:

6 Likes

My cheerful news isā€¦ that after more than half-a-centuryā€¦ I can still ā€œpleasantly surpriseā€ my OHā€¦ :wink:
Weā€™d just enjoyed lunch on the terraceā€¦ and he was tickled pink when I suggested we sup a sloe-brandy with our coffeeā€¦ :+1: as Iā€™m the one who has to ensure that ā€œDocā€™s Ordersā€ are closely followedā€¦ and Iā€™m very strict.
(unbeknownst to OHā€¦ our Doc has tasted my home-made sloe-brandy and declared it OKā€¦ for the odd slurp.) hurrah.
EDIT: @Geof_Cox I thought you might like further confirmation that I can be pleasantly-surprising :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: (not just in politics)

3 Likes

Steady on Stella, youā€™re running amok with the sloe brandy.

1 Like

Last weekend, with our friendsā€¦ I was so busy dishing out the sloe-brandy as a digestif after the evening meal and enjoying the repartee ā€¦ that OH and I completely missed-outā€¦ :wink: :rofl:
Phewā€¦ that was a wonderful Sortie Ć  la Merā€¦ now we wait for Chabrol in September and theyā€™ve asked me to take some more of our ā€œspecial English alcoholā€ā€¦ :wink: :+1:

1 Like

We are at a Nigerian celebration tonight - a couple we have got to know married last yea, and were unable to have a celebration then, so they are doing it now instead.

2 Likes

Could you ask them about the $2,000,000 Iā€™ve been offered by a Nigerian official in return for my bank details?

This is what we were doing 46 years ago today in the steaming hot summer of 1976

11 Likes

Congratulations on your anniversary! :champagne::clinking_glasses:

1 Like

God, that summer! I shaved my hair off (well down to a buzz cut) as was working outdoor in full sun! How you managed a velvet jacket and tie!!

(But thinking about it, probably no hotter than am used to now!)

1 Like

We spent the whole of that summer looking forward to the relief by the sea of our coming holiday in September.
At last we arrived in (Ilfracombe, I think) and the drought broke and it pissed down. :rage: :rofl:

I was pregnant and living on the third floor of a block of flats. That was hot,