Any cheerful news today? (Nothing negative please! šŸ™‚)

Congatulations to both of you @Ancient_Mariner & @letsmile.

I had a similar experience having my son here after 5 years for a week in the summer, now, via Malaga he is back again in Thailand while deciding, probably against, job offers from Beijing and Shanghai.

3,000 metres puts my 28 well in the shade, however I am thinking that perhaps you didnā€™t do it in rapidly approaching zero degrees. (11 yesterday, perhaps a bit more today :thinking:) :rofl:

5 Likes

Indeed @David_Spardo , it was a bit warmer :grin: Not sure Iā€™d want to be doing it in your temperatures. I did see a fascinating documentary the other week on netflix about the swimming ponds on hampstead heath - folks swimming all year round, breaking ice in the water, changing in the open air etcā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ crazy, but many many folks quite addicted to it. Wim Hof eat your heart out :grin:

Now remember the name of the documentary: The Ponds :+1::+1:

They been doing that since my childhood! Although I believe now have to wear a swim suit. When we were little kids we tried to find a way though the bushes to peek in, as werenā€™t allowed in the enclosure.

I saw that film a long time ago and it inspired me to find out more, which is a good thing from a safety point of view, but they are, with very good reason, strongly advised not to swim anywhere near ice. It is so easy to get cut by it and, due to the anaesthetising effect of cold water on the skin, it is possible to be unaware of resulting serious loss of blood. Ice is one of the only 3 occasions when I will not swim. The other 2 are high winds and electric storms, because I swim in a forest pond. Otherwise, nothing stops me and I shall be up there at 4pm for my daily rapid 28 metres (4 lengths) and the resulting exhilerating effects to follow. :joy:

@JaneJones Do you mean that they used to swim naked? They certainly didnā€™t in that film as I recall. But if it is private that is even better. My trunks only go on in the autumn when the leaves start to desert the trees and there is a possibility of mushroom seekers in the forest. :rofl:

1 Like

They certainly used to, but I donā€™t know if officially or unofficially.

Would love to see some pictures!

Here you are!

13 Likes

What an excellent kitchen.

1 Like

Wow John, thatā€™s just beautiful. I would love a kitchen like that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is fantastic John. Are your tiles 40cm square? We need some like that to finish our floor.

1 Like

That looks great!

1 Like

Looks tremendous! Donā€™t think it would fit into our new empty kitchen shell though - only 3.4mx3.2m :rofl:

Marvellousā€¦ youā€™ve great tasteā€¦
your sink/taps are just like oursā€¦ :+1: :rofl:

We thought our cat was dead. Hadnā€™t seen him since Friday and he showed up last night with a huge gash on his neck, leaking and stinky! Poor Oscar :cry: I cleaned it as best I could and we locked him in the bathroom overnight. This morning hubby went to Bergerac to buy a transport cage and I called around to find a vet. Got him a drop off for 2pm, gorgeous vet called me within 20 minutes to say we were VERY lucky he came home when he did, huge perforated abscess and was I OK with the price to operate. Yes, of course, damn Christmas :rofl: ! Good news he has come through the operation and is stable :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

17 Likes

Really good news Tory, I would live in dread of vet bills for my oldies if I wasnā€™t covered by other arrangements for both of them. Fingers crossed he comes out the other side fit and well. :joy:

1 Like

Theyā€™ve said 2-300ā‚¬ depending on operation but obviously more complicated than planned with the very deep abscess. So guessing high end :cry:

One bit of good news in these depressing times. I had my 5 year colonoscopy check for colon cancer and got a really good result, no polyps and colon in good nick. This means I have a green flag for the next five years.

A big thank you to the Polyclinique in Avranches and the French health service in general.

:+1: :+1: :+1:

11 Likes

That is good news, but they stopped checking us years ago, either we are immune or they donā€™t bother after a certain age, which I know not. :roll_eyes:

Morning David

Not sure when these checks end. I am the ripe old age of 67, and my dad, and grandpa both died of colon cancer in their 70ā€™s so I hope they will carry on for a couple of decades !

It may be relevant that I have been put on a high risk list for regular monitoring.

Andy

1 Like

Wow, that looks fantastic. Is that a gas Rangemaster I see ? We had one very similar in the UK.