Any cheerful news today? (Nothing negative please! šŸ™‚)

Well done, yes!!! Loved it, we totally binge watched it :rofl: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Currently in Bristol, visiting family including the most recent addition, Alastair Henry. Also drinking a pint of very nice bitter and eating Gloucester old spot sausages and champ. Yum.

6 Likes

Arrived in France 26 years ago, Channel tunnel was burnt so had to sail and the French were on strike no petrol or rationed sign posts pointing in the wrong directions barricaded /tyres on fire at road junctions, Snowing 7 years derelict new home in the Correze had no electricity, mains water no sanitary arrangements, the adventure began, the best years of my life.

6 Likes

Well, thatā€™s brought back some old memoriesā€¦
I remember remarking to OH as we sat in a traffic jamā€¦
ā€œmust be a terrible accident up ahead, I can see a lot of smoke and the sirens are blaringā€¦ā€

Of course, as we got closer we could see folk (obviously not injured) milling around burning bales of straw, with which theyā€™d closed the road ā€¦
and the gendarmes were directing us motorists off of the motorway and into the unknownā€¦

"a magical mystery tourā€¦ " :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

My cheerful news today is that I still havnā€™t had to put any heating on yet considering previously up north, we would start heating by end of October both by stove and radiators. So far my consommation of electricity is the lowest in many years which is good for my pocket and the extra xmas presents I have to get this year.

3 Likes

That is good, I have had our 2 air to air pumps on increasingly since the middle of October, weekly cost overall of electricity is up to ā‚¬27 now from around ā‚¬10 in the summer heat, even allowing for occasional use of them as air con. It all evens out eventually though, cheaper than keeping the log fire going.

I havnā€™t tried the reversible clim yet, afraid I might like it and be a wimp when all I need is a pair of socks on and a thicker jumper. After all I was brought up with no central heating of any kind, only a late afternoon coal fire that didnā€™t heat the house at all and ice inside the windows in winter. The thought of those evil baddies at Engie raking in the euros even more makes me very frugal these days.

This is the knitted bear I have just finished for my grandson in UK.

17 Likes

Heā€™s smart, @Jane_Williamson :smiley:

Reminds me that when I went to a meeting a few weeks back in order to meet the people I would be ā€œworkingā€ with for the food bank collections, they were all engaged in handwork of some sort and I watched them all producing little hats with pompoms to go on Innocent smoothie bottlesā€¦ :roll_eyes:

Also, in the ensuing conversation when they were wondering whether I ever did handwork, I discovered that, although I knew the French for knitting and crochet, I had no idea what they would call tatting and had a complete communcation failure. I later discover itā€™s called frivolitĆ© !

7 Likes

Well done for getting involved in this.
Itā€™s a very worthy causeā€¦ :+1: :+1: :+1:

5 Likes

I have no idea what it is in either language :rofl: ???

5 Likes

Surely bigger ones to helpna cold person would be more useful :rofl:

And dentelle Ć  la navette :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Weā€™ve had a number of good happenings todayā€¦ but my particular favourite has been my first session of physiotherapy/kinĆ©ā€¦ (call it what you will)ā€¦ with my favourite expert in these matters.

He cheerfully explained that the pain of broken bones can last for 6 months (ouch) :roll_eyes:
but it was a relief to watch my erstwhile damaged arm being gently moved this way and thatā€¦ bodes well for the future. :+1: :+1:

6 Likes

When we had ours installed, the installer advised us to use it, either for heating or cooling, for 1 hour per month at least. He said that if you leave it unused for long periods of time, then some of the gas used could over time condense into a waxy substance that could restrict the flow and either make it less efficient, or stop it working all together. How true this is, I donā€™t know, but Iā€™ve no reason to believe it wasnā€™t true.

1 Like

Thank you for that info, certainly bears thinking about and actually I was told by a car mechanic years ago to use the carā€™s climatisation at least once per month even in winter to keep the gas flow clean and used. Sadly if this electricity price increase crisis had not happened, I would gladly put it on but having a modest income until my pension kicks in, I worry I would not be able to pay huge, possibly increased without knowing bills.

2 Likes

From what Iā€™ve read, this also keeps the seals good.

Iā€™ve also had the advice of running it as hot as possible for 5 minutes every month, to kill any bacteria and thus any smells, but to be honest Iā€™ve never noticed any difference when Iā€™ve forgotten to do that.

1 Like

Thatā€™s VERY good news @stella . Have you got the all-clear for imbibing a little now the festive season is approaching?

1 Like

Should have mentioned yesterdayā€¦ the positive thing about the morningā€™s embarrassment was that I learned another (in context more important) meaning to the French word ā€œdosageā€. Not just quantity/amount, which is what Iā€™d thought, but also ā€œquantitve analysisā€. My non-understandingof the ordonnance resulted in the very kind lady at the lab explaining patiently that I didnā€™t need that particular blood test because Iā€™d had one in the past 3 months :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Now then, donā€™t encourage meā€¦ :rofl:
I actually had a half-glass of red wine with supper the other dayā€¦
When I fancy another glass (or a half) Iā€™ll have one, but it isnā€™t a ā€œmust haveā€ā€¦
unlike OH who reckons a meal isnā€™t complete without a glass of wineā€¦ :roll_eyes:

Weā€™ve some really super winesā€¦ booty from visits to the vineyards or giftsā€¦ and Iā€™ll choose one of them to go with Christmas Dinner I reckonā€¦ :+1:

2 Likes