Any cheerful news today? (Nothing negative please! šŸ™‚)

Swifts! How wonderful :smiley: I havenā€™t seen any for the past year or two but I love them and hope they will come back. After a couple of years of absence our bats have returned so,perhaps, swifts will tooā€¦

1 Like

Just reporting on a couple of things that have cheered me upa great deal today!
Firstly, the builders arrived unexpectedly (good job I was dressed) to put up my balcony/terrasse, having finally managed to obtain the wood. Itā€™s looking promisingā€¦
Secondly, my partner got some espadron at the market this morning so, having unearthed and commissioned our beautiful clay-built chimenea, weā€™ll be heading for a lovely barbecue this evening,

5 Likes

Just had a delicious toasted M&S Tea Cake bought from England on the 13:55 flight into Bergerac so with an hours journey from Bergerac and a 30 minute at supermarket - the tea cakes lasted less than 1 hour after arrival home! = couldnā€™t resist them.

5 Likes

Some fresh veg from next doorā€¦ arrived just before lunchā€¦ courgettes/ blettes/parsley
I checked Google for ideas.

Courgettes:
small cubes fried in a splash of Olive oil until coloured/slightlycrispy.
Add chopped parsley, garlic and a sprinkle of black pepper.
Blettes - the green part thrown into boiling, salted water for 2 minutes
Drain the blettes and add to the courgette/parsley panā€¦
Add a blob of butter and stir everything gently together on medium heat.

Just before servingā€¦ sprinkle with some grated parmesanā€¦

absolutely yummyā€¦ served alongside cordon bleuā€¦

OH had been watching a tad apprehensively, but he licked his plate clean

(the white part of the blettes is waiting its turnā€¦ )

1 Like

Steamed is an excellent substute for pak choi - in fact weā€™ve been using blettes in preference to pak choi for our favourite Chinese recipe :smiley:

By the way - I like ā€œSunbeamā€!

1 Like

Itā€™s my carā€¦ my pride and joy :hugs:

2 Likes

And there was me thinking it was just an accurate reflection of your personality :smiley:

1 Like

While we are thinking cheerilyā€¦ the builders left yesterday and we are rather pleased with our smart new terrasse. Now to smarten up the rest of the houseā€¦

10 Likes

We chop and stir fry the whites, or throw them into gratins and the like. Pak choi doesnā€™t get planted until the peas are finished, so our autumn green vegā€¦

Terrace looks great, so nice when things that one has dreamed of get done!

1 Like

which is?? :smiley: :smiley:

The pak choi (or blettes) with sauce is the perfect accompaniment to this dish. The only problem is that you do need the unobtainable-in-France? Chinese 5 spice for the pork marinade,

2 Likes

Blettes are a great deal easier to grow than pak choi - for me anyway, so we tend to use them in preferenceā€¦

I used to have one, but a later model

Oh YUM thatā€™s right you posted that on my pork thread!

Iā€™m sure they have them at the Chinese supermaket I finally went to in Bergerac. Iā€™m nearly out of Hoi Sin so will be going at some point (before the autumn anyway :rofl: :rofl: ). Do you want me to pick you up a bag and pop it in the post?

1 Like

I only have flowering pot plants so am grateful for any edibleoffering from neighbours. Did grow tomatoes in a pot, one year, but not very successful and everyone always seems to have a glut, so no incentive on my part.

3 Likes

Well I didnā€™t have to cut grass today :yum::grin: so for me it was an excellent day, blue skies and 32C, for me life does not get much better than a beautiful day with my family, dog, 9 cats and the hot tub :grin::sunglasses:

5 Likes

Either mix it yourself or get it in Eurasie (Bordeaux) or frĆØres Tang (Paris) or online.

1 Like

Grind star anise, cloves, Chinese cinnamon, Szechuan peppercorns, and fennel seeds. We use slightly less star anise than bought versions as suits our taste buds. But itā€™s available

3 Likes

Has anyone seen tonightā€™s beautiful moon.
Itā€™s absolutely magnificentā€¦ andā€¦ in line with family traditionā€¦ I gazed up at it and howled :wink: :wink:

7 Likes

Thank you @vero, @JaneJones and @toryroo ! Our nearest oriental(?) outlet is at Rennes but I shall check the online and home-grown solutions!

2 Likes