Any cheerful news today? (Nothing negative please! šŸ™‚)

And it was still wending its way slowly along the channel this morning.

Since thereā€™s only about 150km between us it certainly wasnā€™t breaking the speed limit! It started rumbling in the far distance about 4, but didnā€™t actually hit us until an hour an a half later. Once Iā€™d got everything in we could lie in bed and watch a magnificent son et lumiĆØre show from our bed.

We had the storm just as we were watching the start of the replay of the Olympics opening ceremony. The TV (by satellite) gave up due to the atmospheric conditions, just after the national anthem. But I believe the whole thing was rather long so we would never have lasted out. Weird with no spectators too. Necessary in the circumstances, but still, a shame.

Itā€™s raining :smiley: So very good - nice steady stuff, soaking into the veg patch. My plants are likely to recover from my inadequate watering. All excellent! And with my partner away in his bolt hole, I have a nice cold poached salmon fillet with a tahini drssing, new potatoes and courgettes fried in butter, all washed down with a very pleasing Macon Villages and an interesting documentary to watch. (Is there a smiley for relaxing?)

3 Likes

OH likes escaping to his garageā€¦ but he never misses a meal :rofl:

Unfortunately, my partner is the main chef in the householdā€¦

Happy ending.

One of my cats stood at the garden gate yesterday with a small brown bird in its mouth. The bird appeared to be dead ā€“ its head inside the catā€™s mouth with its legs and wings hanging completely drooped and lifeless. I so wish that cats were vegetarian!

However, after coaxing my cat for several minutes with soothing noises she eventually dropped the bird which suddenly came to life. But pussycat was too quick and held the bird down with a paw. At that point I launched forward and came away triumphantly with the bird very much alive and wriggling in my hand. Hunting is not allowed on my patch!

I left the sparrow in a covered cage overnight and very happily released her this morning back to where she belonged. She flew away with great vigour into the trees. A happy moment.

Playing dead saved this small brown birdā€™s lifeā€¦with a little help from me!

7 Likes

Well done you!!!
T

Itā€™s plum jam making day today.

We have 16kg of plums to get through therefore quite a bit of sugar!

You have plums!!! We havenā€™t had a single one this year from our 5 stone fruit trees. Normally we have glutsā€¦

(Tip no 202 for new gĆ®tes: If you donā€™t already, do make some smaller jars, we provide two or three small jars of homemade jam/honey for gĆ®te people rather than one big jar that most would struggle to eat in a week. It goes down very well and is a cheap welcome gesture.)

1 Like

Saw our first glow-worm of 2021 year this eveningā€¦ rather a late arrival but better late than never.

No, I didnā€™t ask to see her Pass Sanitaire :rofl:

3 Likes

Our plums arenā€™t ready yet. When they are, itā€™ll be time to make plum wine. BTW, good to see youā€™re using mainly normal sugar. I made damson jam many years ago from a tree in our MS. I used exclusively jam sugar with added pectin. Once it had set, you could bend spoons trying to extract it from the jar.

1 Like

We had two plums.
On the other hand I have just heard that I will receive threepence a share from Nat West.
I inherited these shares in 1961, but my mother received a life time interest and she didnā€™t die until she was 98 and since then they have been rubbish.
Obviously, I will have to give much thought to my unexpected windfallā€¦

Golly - donā€™t forget to declare it on your next tax return, Jane :rofl:

1 Like

We are having a compensation barbecue this lunchtime in a small effort to replace our lost village mechoui.
The sun is just peeping out and the wind has dropped.
We will be barbecuing a rib of beef.
A select gathering, moi-meme, Jim, Madame le Maire and her husband and our neighbour, the baker.

2 Likes

We had a lovely time and we finished just in time to have our coffee in the kitchen to avoid, yet again, the rain.

2 Likes

We have no gaz, the military airport is in Dijon, just how far does the remit for this diagnostique reach?
If there was no amiante found in the report when we bought the house, is it really necessary to do another report.
No one in their right mind would install it nowadays.

Our glow wormā€¦ glowed again last nightā€¦ Iā€™m hoping she finds a handsome hunk and they have lots of little sparklersā€¦ :rofl:

6 Likes

It makes little sense to me but Iā€™m delighted if this isā€™ good newsā€™ to you :wink::blush:

@Jane_Williamson I think youā€™ve replied about diagnostic on the wrong threadā€¦
Iā€™m sure youā€™ve got some cheerful news to share with usā€¦ ???

1 Like