Any problems with hunters?

My house is on the edge of the village, about 1/2 mile outside, with a small hill at the back, and bank to the side. When I got back home a couple of days ago I came back to what looked like an invasion, with many folks in fluourescent gear meandering down the hill, guns in hand! They were probably maximum 100m from my house :scream:

Not sure what to do about this, as it was a tad unnerving! Has anyone else had similar experience, and in particular, if you have, did you take any action, and are there rules out there controlling where folks can hunt i.e. proximity to houses etc???

Very interested to hear of similar experiences!

Nothing to worry about. It was a formal “battue”. Very well organised, with beaters and shooters all wearing high viz clothing. Happens once or twice a year round us. We have sanglier in our woodlands and occasionally they need culling.

2 Likes

Well that’s reassuring, as thought war had suddenly been declared :grin:

1 Like

you might to like reading you way through the various threads on this forum which talk about Chasse
 Chasseurs
 Hunting
 Hunters.
Use the magnifying glass (search engine) to find 'em.

They are actually supposed to stay 150m from any habitation. I am not a fan of hunting, but have found that getting to know the local Chasse has avoided any problems so far. Good hunts obey the rules, are properly trained, and don’t drink to excess before they pick up their guns. So we leave them alone, and they leave us alone and warn us if they see us walking the dog towards an area where they are hunting.

1 Like

Interesting about the 150m :scream: certainly don’t want to ruffle any feathers, as I’m sure they wouldn’t take too kindly to someone complaining, but need to think how I can address it as diplomatically as poss, to make sure no problems - thinking cap on :thinking:

Just wondering if they were on your land or someone else’s

In actual fact, sods law, with what is a very large tract of land that I have, the house is weirdly build on the rear edge, so the hunters were actually outside my land, but felt close - couldn’t quite see the whites of their eyes :grin: Even so, if the limit is 150m, I guess it doesn’t matter whose land they’re on does it?

It possibly depends whether or not they were actively hunting or simply moving across the land

As I think you are new to your area, it might be an idea to find out locally what happens when and how

Ask at your Mairie, who might well be able to put you in touch with local chasse organizations.

A friendly approach/contact is often the best way for each side to understand the other.

1 Like

Yes indeed Stella, want to handle it with care, to avoid any stray shots landing. Admittedly, when I saw them, they weren’t actually shooting, but when I went inside I did hear shots. Will see how I get on at the mairie I think - don’t want to come back home one day and find a horses head at the door :scream:

It should be illegal to use a gun after any drinking at all
same rules should apply as for pilots: 0 alcohol in the blood when active, otherwise license revoked.

They may hunt on your lands, if you did not register yourself as opposed to hunting for ethical reasons. This is a complex procedure, which can be done only when the Societe de Chasse renews its statutes.

It may possibly be illegal, but so is drink-driving. And we know how well that works.

I suspect that there are fewer deaths on the roads thanks to the drink driving laws than there would be if they didn’t exist.

We often see hunters. Their bright-orange stands out beautifully.
We often hear gunshots
 but the two are not necessarily connected.

For instance, from my kitchen window the other day
 I watched 5 hunters walking down the far field, towards their vehicles parked on the road. They glowed in the sunlight as they stood by the vehicles (presumably chatting) and gradually folk moved away and drove off.
During this time, there were some loud shots but quite obviously not caused by these people.

Just a case of risk management, as don’t want to be lulled into a false sense of security thinking the guys I can see with guns aren’t shooting, only to find one of the group out of sight shooting. And nobody goes out hunting wanting to shoot another person, but it happens, as I’ve read, and also heard quite a few stories. In fact where I live, in the 70’s the mayor’s son was accidentally shot, and there’s even a memorial to him on a nearby hill - when you see that, it hits home and resonates a little!

And same with hunters. The rules are there, and 90% pay heed. I think it is something like 11 deaths a year, of which 7 are hunters.

Any problem with hunters,
Yes mine leak, ( it’s a welly joke) :grin:

Some French hunters drink and shoot, ( who knew) :joy:

Overrated and expensive.