Any thoughts on this difficult problem?

UK or France?

France.

Eitherā€¦covert recordings are widely considered illegal in democratic countriesā€¦

So you want to live in a country where vigilante justice is considered acceptableā€¦Bolivia, Afghanistan, Philippines ?

2 Likes

In UK I believe only 1 participating party has to be aware a conversation is being taped to make it legal.

ā€¦And dropping tacks isnā€™t vigilante justice?

Iā€™m with Corona.

Heard recently from someone locally born & bred they used similar way of catching someone in the act and got it dealt with by officialdom who were aware, but not acting. Was settled much more civilly once the person became aware.

1 Like

Maybe just a tad extreme? We are talking someone putting down tacks, once they know they have been spotted they have the option to stop.

Aha, but that is your advice isnā€™t it Stella ? Doesnā€™t necessarily make it correct or even good!
Sorry if that sounded snippy but there are huge regional variations in this kind of thing and I would hate any readers to assume that the site is providing definitive answers to this type of issue. At the end of the day we are all just expressing our opinions :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That is my understanding also.

Jurisdictions vary in whether one, or both parties need to be aware of the recording for it to be legal - which is why I asked

As above, youā€™d have been OK in the UK, as long as the recording was for your own use, but France needs both parties to consent.

Except in the case of an employer keeping tabs on employees which seems to be legal.

I read an interesting story once about the SeaBees in WW2. The Japanese were dropping spikes (caltrops) onto the US airstrips so the US planes could not take off. An ingenious SeaBee rigged up a large magnet to the front of a jeep, collected all the spikes and the some Marine pilots returned them to the Japanese airfield in the same manner. The spikes never came back again.
Perhaps, once you figure out who it is, you just discreetly returned the items to the original ownerā€¦?

Itā€™s not as straightforward as that. Depends on the context and specific circumstances and purpose of the recording.

Update 5 weeks after first post.
Locals raised a petition and got homeowners here in the hamlet and also a few near-locals to sign and indicate punctures. Total? 52. And that doesnā€™t include LaPoste vehicles and occasional ā€˜white vansā€™, which undoubtedly would have had a few.

Petition given to our mayor and the mayor of a neighbouring (1km) village for them to present to the police.

5 Likes

Wow that is a serious number of punctures! Thanks for the update, I look forward to hearing the next instalment!

Maybe the perpetrators are a local garage ? Hell of a way to drum up business :grinning:

1 Like