Anyone else a gilet jaune?

Well, whilst this is probably a reasonable supposition, when one is told by a consultant ophthalmologist that one’s wife needs an urgent operation to save her sight, it’s a reasonable supposition that he will be believed in the first instance, and one will accept the urgency of his message. One can not see the interior of one’s own eyes, Jane, and as a general rule one trusts one’s doctors.

After reviewing the process in a less pressured environment, and with awareness that my wife was told twelve years ago by a well-known High Street optician that she had cataracts and would be blind in two years without treatment, well…one may have second thoughts?

A lot of private medicine is IMO a putrid racket, and that includes a bucket of private nursing homes run by GPs with sticky fingers and flash cars.

1 Like

Having recently signed on to the digital platform I will do as you advise, Jane. At present it only shows transactions dating back to when I joined DMP a month back. But thanks for responding.

thanks for the information will pass it on

thats hard

1 Like

Sometimes John - you just can’t have it all…

for me the bourse is just a bookmaker for the rich.Its about speculation, and if the shareholders do not get any dividends then they scream blue murder, so a company director will make decisions to please the shareholders whilst damaging the company like lay offs lower quality reducing the size e.g. Quality street

Huh ??? So where do pensions come from?

(Apologies if that sounds like an infantile question!)

The companies that make up the CAC40 maybe French but much of their revenue is earned overseas, Vinci for example run some of the autoroutes here but they also have a controlling stake in Gatwick Airport along with other airports all over the world, if you tax them heavily they will simply cut jobs to remain profitable.

1 Like

John, since the subject being discussed is the CAC40, I assume your comments are about France. Do you have any idea of what obligations French law put on companies who are considering licensiement économique? They can’t simply lay a worker off to bring down their wages bill, and bung him a bit of redundancy pay to keep him happy, as companies can in the UK.

I suggest you read in particular what happens if the judge considers that a company has laid a worker off without making enough effort to avoid doing so.

As above. French law makes it very difficult, in fact virtually impossible for French workers to be laid off purely for the sake of company profit and to satisfy shareholders.
I think in fact that most big French companies take pride in treating their employers well. Certainly the best company I ever worked for in the UK, was a French owned company.

2 Likes

No need to thank me, it is easily available information, in fact the CAF tell you all about it all the time along with information about allocs like congé maternité, congé parental etc etc nobody actually needs to have been nothing but a stay at home parent all their adult life until 38 or so unless they actually have 20 children, in which case getting a job is probably the least of their worries.

from the peoplewho put money in it each month i thought but maybe wrong tell me if i am

You need a better mutuelle.

“from the peoplewho put money in it each month i thought but maybe wrong tell me if i am”

You are. The CAF deals with benefits and help for people who aren’t working and never have worked, people like students for example get the APL, everyone with at least 2 children under 21 gets child benefit.
Obviously it also deals with people who do work.

You only put money in if you have a job, it isn’t to benefit you personally, it is to benefit everyone who needs it, whether you have children, need help or not you put money in and so does your employer.

If you are jobless your cotisations are paid by the state so that later on you will get a pension. It isn’t necessarily a lot but as people are already howling about contributions what can we do.

This information is as I said freely available (google CAF and you will find their page and a wikipedia page which sums it all up) our system is far from perfect but it is a hell of a lot better than many others, I find it very sad and even annoying that a foreign person who clearly knows so little about it should be out protesting about it :frowning::frowning::frowning::frowning::frowning::frowning:

8 Likes

Agree 100%!

2 Likes

Cat, we can’t afford a better mutuelle. The one we got (through Fabien) gives us cover for hospital admissions to obviate our need to pay up-front charges in the event that either one of us broke a femoral neck in a fall (one of the commonest accidental injuries requiring surgery for elderly people).

The surgery is free, but the bed has to be paid for before you can be put in it. And we can’t afford the bill, even if it is presented on discharge.

My friend did exactly this. After staying at home to look after her son she retrained as an aide soignante and was paid while doing so. All sorts of free training courses available in France.

2 Likes

If that is literally the case, why are you not on CMU-C, have you applied?

2 Likes

Well said Vero. :+1:

1 Like

I had no idea we had to apply nor what CMU-C represents or provides for. We consulted Fabien and I set out exactly the scenario described above, and were advised that we would have to pay up-front fees for a room, bed and basic services.

There was no mention of any other provision available. I am 80 and my wife is 75. We both supplied S1 statements when we applied to join Amelie and obtained CVs.

No-one suggested or even mentioned any other entitlements, nor do I recall any mention of CMU-C when we made applications in 2015. Nor when we booked the room for my wife’s cataract surgery. We were told we would have to pay 50 euros a day or part thereof up-front, but with the mutuelle the fee was waived.

Interestingly, after we cancelled the surgery, my wife’s entire ophthalmic dossier was witheld, despite her having paid for some of the tests and the consultant’s fee. Is this normal?

Why are CAC40 companies not investing France, could it be that most of their profits are made elsewhere?