Anyone got an electric car in France?

Ahem… 22kW I suspect.

I’m sure your installer was very competent.

I do have to point out that all “bornes IRVE” above 3,7kW have to be installed by an approved professional - one who has obtained the “mention IRVE”.

Having said that any electrician who can read the wealth of information available on the subject would have no problem carrying out an installation safely.

Indeed :joy:

i didn’t know that, but…. as luck would have it :face_with_hand_over_mouth: the box failed (warning light came on) soon after it was commissioned and it had to be replaced by Wallbox’s “local” guy who assured me a good job had been done by my man. So I guess I’ve had two installations, one unqualified and one qualified.

Seems fair…

I must admit that I’m not sure what kind of sanctions are in place for anyone installing without the (paid for!) ticket, or for that of a bricoleur.

If someone is charging (!) for it professionally I suspect that at the very least it wouldn’t be covered by pro insurance if any claim were to be invoked.

it seemed straight forward apart from some load balancing box that throttles back the charge rate if the house is at risk of going short. To be honest, all this three phase stuff is beyond me. As soon as I have an fully fledged EV to plug into it I must do a bit of homework.

We found EDF offer more expensive than the installer recommended by the garage. Who is registered to do so, and we got the credit impôt.

Still only 3 leads or 4.

What box did you go for?

Wallbox

Which one? I think I might have overkilled with the one I installed.

Or future proofed :joy:

One can only hope.

1 Like

Pardon my ignorance, but why does one need RFID tags to charge up from a charger ? Is that a system particular to the UK, or Europe in general ? Are they physical tags, or do you have to have a NFC-enabled smartphone and an app to store them pending their use ? Complete neophyte here.

1 Like

I know there are different suppliers in the UK and each wants you to set up an account, failing to do this means paying a premium to use their service. Pathetic I know but such a stupid government gave them licences to operate even though early on it was decided that a bank card with contactless was all that would be needed.

1 Like

RFID is the wireless technology used for the charge cards you need for most charging stations throughout Europe (and probably elsewhere). They look and act like a credit card as far as payment goes, but they also unlock the charge points and start and finish the charge. At the end of the month they take the funds for the charges you’ve had from your bank - just like a credit card.

You can also generally use a mobile phone app and credit card - but the RFID cards are easier.

Charging networks often want you sign up with them & offer slightly lower tariffs for their cardholders, as opposed to those using a debit or credit card. This can involve them issuing an RFID card, but some are (sensibly) just using a 'phone app.

Some providers in France charge you an initial fee for the card, which I’ve not seen happen in the UK.

I predict that the option to use a simple credit or debit card (or a 'phone payment app like Applepay) will become the norm as, frankly, signing up with multiple providers is a hassle.

1 Like

I suspect he missed off the “A” of “kVA”.

No, he meant kW.

Charger power is expressed in kilowatts, not kVA.

Having read through the thread one subject was not addressed. That being battery replacement when due - it is often near the original cost of the car, and each marque is different regarding battery life reliability. This is for full EVs. I am not sure the cost of batteries for hybrids, but it’s probably not inexpensive. Long term ownership appears to be a no-win situation when battery life is taken into account. Given this, I might suggest 2 or 3 year leases as opposed to purchase. Keep the lease duration within the manufacturer’s full warranty period.

And with a power factor of 1, they’re the same thing.