Anyone got an electric car in France?

That would depend on capacity. The battery in our C350e cost about €1,000 (if I remember correctly) when we replaced it last February. But it only has the capacity for +/- 23km.

I’ve never leased a car, I think, maybe mistakenly, you end up paying the same one way or the other. It’s really just a cashflow thing.

If the lessor thinks the asset is going to depreciate faster they’ll just front load the lease.

1 Like

Yes, if they do.

I was just pointing out the accepted way of talking about EV chargers.

I apologise for wanting to be precise & informative.

3 Likes

That is entirely untrue.

For a Nissan Leaf 2.0 which had a sale price of the low to mid 30K€s a replacement 40kWh battery is around 8-10K€.

However, as battery life had not yet featured as a major thing, even in older EVs, the subject doesn’t have a precise answer.

The non-dealer replacement market does seem to be served well by used batteries obtained from donor vehicles that have been pranged. These seem to come in at around 50% of a new battery.

Nissan (& others) give an 8 year/150,000km warranty on their batteries keeping north of 75% capacity.

In the event of needing to replace a battery there is a market for diminished capacity EV batteries in static storage solutions (such as home batteries) where space isn’t at such a premium. i.e. there’s a value to a used item.

2 Likes

No mention of replacing a knackered polluting oil guzzling old ICE engine of course. I remember top gear years back where the team bought high performance cars, north of 400bhp and put them on a dyno to discover they had less than 1/3 of their prior power. An engine would cost as much as a battery pack if it really needed all cells and not just a few changing. One of the reasons battery recycling companies are doing other things for now as EV batteries are lasting longer than expected due to great battery management services.

2 Likes

Still far too expensive for the majority of people to consider buying. OK for those on big pensions, high salaries etc who can afford it,but ordinary families with day to day living costs increasing and families to feed will never consider it. I have not seen one single EV on this new estate nor any charging points locally either and my old commune which had two points, never had any customers as I passed it daily.

1 Like

I wouldn’t want go back,but you never know what will happen so I will say never but!

Depends on one’s priorities. I see low income families finding the money for all sorts of things I don’t view as important.

One also has to recognise that early adopters are useful for growing the market and making it become affordable. Like TVs and mobile phones, they starting by being accessible only to very well-heeled people.

Try opening your eyes, its doubtfull there arent any. Put up your local postcode and we can take a look but more over home charging will be the norm for most

China has a full pipeline of low cost EV’s ready to go for their markets. Type approval will be needed for Europe and this adds costs and luckily, delays.
But under the auspices of Renault the Indo-Chinese car known as the Dacia Spring got through, so there will be others.

I view the main obstacle as Europe’s need to protect its own vehicle manufacturers and their value chains (ie jobs). I suspect China would be quite happy to flood European markets with cheap EV’s as soon as allowed

InsideEVs : Nissan Exec Says Nearly All LEAF EV Batteries Are Still In Cars.

2 Likes

I would like to know of people’s experience of using the charging network on the Autoroutes recently.

Are there enough chargers? Are they working?

Anyone done this?

Good article - this is the telling point:

Oddly enough, the citizen journalists who write these pieces never seem to cite any sources for their helpful information about battery life… The much-predicted glut of obsolete EV batteries has not materialized, despite the fervent hopes of the anti-EV crowd.

For some reason there does seem to be a ‘crowd’ looking for and believing any argument, however spurious, against electric vehicles. Is it just that they’re invested in fossil fuel cars (I mean psychologically invested) and can’t bear the thought that their knowledge etc is past it?

1 Like

Half of my in-laws are part of the terminally stupid when it comes to a discussion on cars and other green technologies. A lot of the bad articles are funded by oil and gas Co’s. Australia is a prime example and Toyota also.

1 Like

My own car battery, incidentally, has a 10 year manufacturer’s guarantee - longer than any other part.

The Leaf appears to be the exception. Others have battery replacement costs ranging up to $20,000 in the US, and life expectancies are all over the place. A google search is enlightening.

Rarely - unless of course you go into each result and check the sources - which, as the article linked by Corona says, you’ll probably find sadly lacking.

1 Like

Not really, the leaf doesnt have the thermal management that the majority do so it is somewhat limiting. US are the exception, by a car with a bad battery, heaven knows what it was subjected to and then cry like a girl when manufacturers charge full price for a complete battery pack.

Equally there is the crowd that believes any argument, however spurious, for electric vehicles.

Seems there are many more people who must be terminally stupid then!

3 Likes

But they cannot understand why they could run their pushbike lights from the wheel mounted dynamo and yet an electric car has to have a massive battery, which btw only lasts 70 miles.
I am sure you are not in that camp?

1 Like

Currently there. No effort whatsoever to conserve energy. For example no double glazing anywhere. No insulation in any houses. All heads up a possum’s rectum regarding climate change :thinking:

Over five weeks, albeit three of them in the bush, I’ve seen a handful of Tesla 3s and one Y but strangely enough there’s a Tesla charging point in the car park of the little Margaret’s River hotel we’re in.

1 Like