Anyone got an old banger for sale?

I´m looking for an old car to use for my dogs (taking them a bit further afield but not TOO far!). Alternatively, anyone know a good, reliable mechanic (near Cahors - 46 -)that could repair a Peugeot 405 petrol engine that MAY have a broken cam belt? Or even an 1800 cc, 5-gear, petrol engine on it's own!

Julie

Hello Miles

Thanks for your reply.

I'm only going by what the breakdown mechanic has said - but he's also the garage owner, so who knows???

What actually happened was that after a 1000 km run (sweet as a bird or, as John says, the engine ticked away like a mouse's heart!) and pottering around Cahors et environs, I got into the car after a deep frost overnight. When I turned the ignition, there was a horrible crunching noise. I thought it was ice (that had accumulated on the fan) being crunched as the car turned over. Then .................. nothing except a whirring sound as I tried to start it again. Tried a jump start downhill and ....... nothing!

I'm hoping a local mech (on hols at the moment) will give me a second (more optimistic!) opinion next week. Otherwise, I'll be looking for a replacement engine or a replacement car which I can ill afford right now! Hence the plea for either an engine or an old banger!

BTW, the car's only done 50,000 miles (not kms).

Have a great night tonight - my celebs will be at home of course!!!!!

All the very best for 2011

Julie

Hi Julie

I'm no mechcanic, but if the cambelt went and the engine stopped it's almost certainly a scrapyard job. Things go out of time and start hitting other things that should be left alone. (Can you tell I'm not a mechanic? :D )

What happened to make you think it was the cambelt?