Anyone know what this is?

Years ago, my daughter would phone me from her London office… Mum, there’s a spider in the lounge… under a bucket (or whatever)… PLEASE get rid of it for me…

In those days, my office was only a few miles from her house… so I would dutifully go there in my lunch-hour and dispose of offending spider/beatle/whatever…

Mum’s have to show bravery (?)… and now my “terrified” daughter has to conquer her fears in front of her son… (she tells me all about it, privately, after she has been particularly brave…). :hugs:

It’s amazing how many toxic creatures there are out there. I was gardening last summer and had a caterpillar fall down my T shirt. By the time I was able to get it out it had bitten me a few times, painfully on the boobs, luckily I had some Tea Tree handy, but I did worry :dizzy_face:

1 Like

Tea-Tree is amazing stuff… I keep some handy at all times…

A very useful addition to any household.

Has helped with tooth and ear infections and is a great all round safe antiseptic.

I’ve got a stick of it in my bag (looks like a lip-salve)… not to use near mouth/eyes… but it goes everywhere else, on scrapes, bites, eczema and anything that looks/feels “dodgy”… :grinning:

That’s a good idea, I will have to put some in a little roller bottle, the site I use do supply them so that you can make up your own mixes.
I do use T Tree on infected gums, I wet some cotton wool, sqeeze it ou then drip a couple of drops of T Tree on and place it against the infection. It doesn’t taste pleasant but it does work.
For a more fragrant alternative Fragonia is good.

Here is the link to the site that I buy my oils from …

https://www.aroma-zone.com/

1 Like

I bought a couple of these in Boots in UK last year: Tea Tree/Witch Hazel (blemish stick)… it says blemish but it works on everything…

I’ve got a phial of Tea Tree oil which I might well mix with Witch Hazel myself in future… using the oil neat is a bit too strong IMO.

You can buy spider catchers, which work for other insects too. After all if you vacuum them up they may well not be killed and just crawl out again…

Ladybirds don’t seem to survive to well after several very fast laps of the inside of our Dyson.

Now Ladybirds… I take great care of … and I put them in a corner of the loft… from whence they can set forth in springtime… :hugs:

1 Like

Agghh Jane, I really didn’t need to know that :nauseated_face:

I can’t even click on your link in case there is a photo of one.

I can just about bear, sometimes with shaking hands and tears to hoover them up from as far away as the hose will let me !

If ever you have a snake, mouse or rat you can call on me, I can pick them all up !

I have a great photo of me taken with a large snake coiled accross my shoulders, mum can’t bear to look at it, she has a real phobia about them too !

1 Like

We get thousands of Ladybirds (and apparently not the good ones!) - they seems to hibernate in the corners of the window frames. Last time we were over - I would think I vacuumed up 2-3000 of them on the first evening.

Have found this one, must look for the bigger snake :hugs:

3 Likes

We think @james elbow issue originated from a bite :frowning:

Wouldn’t surprise me at all Catharine, I have a friend who was bitten on the knee and she had a rough time too !

Sorry! I’m not a particulary squeamish person, so it never occurs to me that a picture would have as much as an affect as the real thing.

Well I did think twice before putting my picture with the snake, and of course I will take it down straight away if anyone has a phobia.

It’s not that I am squeamish about spiders , it’s a real full on phobia, as I say I do know that they are here in my house, but as long as I don’t actually see them I can cope.

I do try to be brave for mum’s sake, but believe me I have had some awful moments, trembling, sickness and panic attacks.

I don’t want to kill them, I just want them gone from my sight, the only way possible is with a vac. Even that leaves me distressed.

Stupid I know, but how can one explain a phobia ? There are some people who can’t board a 'plane, others who have a fear of mice, birds, even cats and dogs.

It’s a fact that spiders are prevelant , I even had to ask a neighbour in the UK to get rid of one that was in my stairway, I couldn’t go up to bed or use the bathroom, how pathetic is that ?

1 Like

I had a colleague who had lived in Brunei with her soldier husband. Almost as soon as they moved into their married quarter her husband went into the jungle on exercise. She went into the lounge and saw a large lizard so left immediately shutting the door behind her. She went to the housing officer to report its presence and ask if someone could remove it. They laughed and pointed out that now she was living in the tropics she would have to get used to the occasional creepy crawly. She kept out of the room until her husband returned home several days later then sent him in to deal with it. He discovered a less than happy metre long monitor lizard so he too went for assistance. That time nobody laughed.

5 Likes

Berk, what a horrible experience for her :nauseated_face:

That’s really a very nice picture of you, Ann, and your companion’s serpently a good-looker too, does he often hang around? :wink::grin:

2 Likes