Apparently you can live really cheaply in France

My sentiments exactly! Plus the writer says she lives in the 64 region. Now we have lived there for the last three years and rents are high…We were paying 1200€ for a family sized house. There are cheaper parts of the 64 but they tend to be up a mountain or miles from anywhere so how does she manage with two kids and no car??? And I bet the ‘food’ figure doesn’t include loo roll and washing powder! These type of features make me so cross as they are so unrealistic, never any mention of clothes, shoes, school dinners and so forth…Grrrr.

Gosh I wish I could live for half price but again your correspondant doesnt run a car and has no travel expenses, nor has any taxes to pay, we are asked to believe that this figure is for a family of four so that school trips, plume et cahiers etc need to be taken into account more normal figures might be :-

No rent
Water=€10
Electricity=€116 includes cost of wood for full time expats and pool pump etc
Bottled Gas=€10
Internet=€27.9
Phone line etc=€56
Health ins=€85
Cell Phone= unnecessary
Entertainment=unquantifiable
Food=€800

What about
Taxes? ie fonciere et habitation=€50+
Car insurance=€20+
petrol @ €1.28/litre so say €60pm at least
Travel back to home country?

So that gives €1235 per month or €617 ea or €20.56 ea per day or about $29.81
If you include €750 for rent, you are still liable for taxes and that brings the total for two to €1985 per month or €32.63 ea per day or $47.31
This is for two old F/*ts. who never go out!!! and still doesnt include the costs of the children. Get real.