Application for a carte de séjour

I am surprised the ladies of the forum are not up in arms at the notion that only males or women who live alone have to worry their pretty little heads about bills and the usual paraphernalia of existing.
No carte vitale? No cheque book or bank card? No tax papers?

All right - maybe I was a little bit sharp and a lot obtuse.

My OH has all the usual bits of plastic but nothing official addressed directly to her. UNTIL I remembered her CPAM attestation (as well as various CPAM receipts which usually go in the bin); howewver, by this time, she’d completed her application so a bit late. I’ll take it along at the interview if they don;t query things before then. Unfortunately, once you click on the final button, you can’t go back (although you can check it out before then). All our tax in this country is in my name because I always do it - Likewise the bills. I was informed by my solicitor that although I am the lawful owner of the property, under French law she only has the right to live there as long as she wishes since the property reverts to my children on my death. Very strange and rather objectionable. It seems wives here are seen and not heard …

Thanks to all who replied to my rather vague inquiry - on and off the subject . Sorry if some of my remarks created the wrong impression.

Well yes, I said it seemed odd to me but chacun son truc.

Not actually the case that it is automatically so, you would have had the opportunity to make the house property of both of you rather than yours alone, or own it en tontine. As it is when you pop your clogs your children can put her under a bridge, but you could have avoided that.

1 Like

I trust you fill in both columns on the household income declaration, even if it is all 0000s in your wife’s column? Under the WA each resident applies for a carte de sejour in their own right and so they need to be legally living in France in their own right which includes declaring their worldwide income even if it is minimal.

John, if you choose to action a UK will you can leave what you want to whoever you want. Reading this last sentence…you have not met my neighbour Madame S :wink: :joy: I would be very concerned if I knew of any females /males that might feel oppressed!

He still can if he gives her the “usufruit”. Would recommend a chat to a notaire.

1 Like

Total dependence on an OH in either direction is far from ideal. I’ve watched widows here who don’t even drive or have their own bank account really struggle in the early days - not even getting access to money to buy food and needing to rely on friends to get anywhere.
And it’s interesting to see widowers who have never done anything for themselves round the house getting hitched up again in a matter of weeks!
The Daily Telegraph “lonely hearts” is apparently a good source of partners.