Applying for visa - what insurances have been accepted?

Okay, I am starting to sort all this out. Great news about the French offering insurance after three months - that being said....I am resigning so I will lose my health coverage. I want to buy the cheapest coverage I can for three months that the consulate will accept. Any advice?

Yes thank you for your wise words.

Hi Melissa

A simple cautionary note. Whilst the situation has changed regarding access to the French Health system, it does not mean that you will actually get it.

You need to make the application after you have been resident here for at least 3 months and then you need to wait to see if you will be accepted. We have heard of cases whereby if the applicant has private health insurance (as required by visa) then the authorities will say that you should simply keep going with that insurance. You need to show that there has been a significant change in your circumstances to justify your entry to the system.

We are Australians with Carte Sejour and have been living here for nearly 3 years. We are getting ready to send off our application, but have been advised that it can take up to 3 months to get a response.

Good luck with it, but I think that you will need more than 3 months health insurance to satisfy the visa requirements.

Graham