Apropos of nothing

I forgot to say, maybe all 3 dentists are spot on! On that consensus of opinion, I’d certainly be inclined to think do.

Maybe there is nothing untoward and your situation, as understandably personally unsettling as it is, is as one would expect given age and history. After all, bone loss in itself doesn’t mean you have periodontitis.

1 Like

Your discussion of the Bonner method is interesting as when I had my bout with severe gum disease many, many years ago it was in the US. And the treatment was daily (yes daily! and then weekly) zapping with water and scraping away the dead tissue. I don’t recall antibiotics ever being mentioned. And I don’t recall it being called anything in particular. But sounds similar.

Thank god for those dental students! As still have all my teeth which I’m sure I wouldn’t have if it were not for them. And didn’t cost me a dime (not that I had one in those days…)

Now there’s a subject in itself. You didn’t pay for dental work…in the US! That’s got to challenge perceptions!

One of the things I haven’t got a handle on (and I’m not sure I’m going to try) is the time lines involved. Bonner has referred to the “butchery” of surgical procedures used, but today’s conventional procedures (for the planing and scraping) are non-surgical and use ultrasound. Once upon a time (and perhaps still in places) gum cutting and manual root scraping was done but my impression is that it isn’t the norm today. So I’m not quite sure when Bonner is referring to.

Your procedure certainly sounds more of an era though. Eek, the very thought goes through me!

Funnily enough, today I’ve just been to the hygenist in UK - after 2 years since the last visit. They used a [the] the sonic / water thingy… £55.

They suggested come back in 6 weeks then another appointment at 3 months. 'To get on top of it…

pointed me to a couple of youtube 'how to 'guides by AJ Hedger -

How to use an electric toothbrush; and
How to use an interdental brush.

Do let me know what you think - haven’t looked at them yet myself.

Also slightly confused - are you doing the 4.2K euro treatment then?

Oh they also did mention the toungue scraper - it’s evidently bacteria on the toungue. Pointed to the black areas… I always thought that was the rediwine! Said one could use a toothbrush though.

How does one remove the bad bacteria but leave the good friendly ones?

presumably there aren’t any friendlies in the oral region?

One talks to them sternly….:rofl:

But seriously, like with things like Candida isn’t it about encouraging a healthy environment that enables the bacteria to sort themselves out?

1 Like

Just like most things in nature the strongest wins through. That said eating the wrong things can create an environment where some breeds can proliferate over others.

Without having looked myself, I’d say that if your dentist pointed you in that direction then they are at worth it, if only as a starting point.