Are the French rude?

My French is, to be generous to myself, ‘v poor’, I blame my Wife, her English is excellent.
But I try, with a :slightly_smiling_face: and that is invariably appreciated :+1:

1 Like

As part of our relocation to France we had some ‘cultural training’ classes. It was very interesting and eye opening at the time (first week in the country) but it would have been more useful after having been here a while. It makes more sense to us now, having more experience of the differences. Interpersonal encounters are not the same as in your native country and you have to accept the norms where you live if you want to fit in.
One example I have found is that the cashier at the supermarket in the UK is trained to make pleasant small talk with customers. I’ve noticed that in our area they only say bonjour and aurevoir even if with French customers unless there is a problem.
I have learned to copy this behaviour but it still feels like I’m treating them like a robot scanning my shopping.

I find a smile goes a long way and is usually returned at the checkout :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I can’t bear supermarkets (well documented :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) and would rather stick pins in my eyes. Click & Collect / Drive - the only way to go :slight_smile:

I must be odd, as a male I don’t mind supermarkets at all especially when we go away in fact the bigger the better.

Can I give Peter half a dozen likes for his translation guide - it’s perfect :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ha ha… around here… the cashiers say hello, kiss if appropriate… and discuss all manner of things with the customer, depending…

We know to wait our turn, patiently… :relaxed:

1 Like

The one I detest is Lidl, not the fault of the staff, but the ‘slavedriver’ owners, staff required to do too much, only ever one check out open, I have even left my loaded trolley and departed, rather than stand there for god knows how long, but I repeat, not the fault of the poor souls working there :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I think you are wrong about the way the staff are treated Bill, Lidl always score high for the way they treat their staff, it’s just the priority that is given to their performing their duties that is different. The work in the shop floor first priority and on the tills second. This morning I was in Lidl and queued up at the only open checkout behind two people with hand held shopping and a man with a trolley full. I had just a few items. Just as I arrived the man was asked to move to the empty conveyor alongside, I was then behind the two shoppers without trolleys. The man unloaded his trolley and just as he was almost finished the girl on my till called to a nearby shelfstacker and she came to serve him immediately. He was not inconvenienced at all, I was saved a long wait, I thought the system was really efficient.

Blimey, never seen that, however! Mind you, if I am in a Lidl twice a year! and it’s a myth that it’s cheap, some loss leaders, check the prices per kilo, surprising :wink: Yes veg is good, that I’ve seen.

I’m a big fan of Lidl. Their fresh produce is usually excellent and a lot of it is local. You can also find some excellent quality products at really low prices (I sound like a TV advert!!!). For example, their Label Rouge pork chops are really nice and about 10€ a kilo. Tinned tomatoes are, I think, 49cts a tin and they’re Italian, really nice and half the price of a good brand. They also sell the best faux filet I’ve bought in France, it’s the one in the beige packaging that you can’t see through. When it’s on special offer I think it’s about 13€ a kilo and I usually buy a few a freeze them. Their equivalent of Mamie Nova yoghurts are lovely and half the price. The rubbish sacks are also excellent quality and good value. I’ll shut up now :wink:

3 Likes

Bill, I’ve done exactly the same. OH was not pleased as I lost the jeton in the trolley and it was a special one… oh well… that’s life… that’s Lidl. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I don’t go to Lidl because it is cheap, I’m sure I could find items cheaper elsewhere but I do go there for value for money. In my opinion when quality is taken into account it’s hard to beat. It’s also second nature for me as Lidl, Aldi, Penny Markt and Netto were my familiar shops before I moved to France.

Well you’re in the habit of going for the budget outlets Dom :slightly_smiling_face:

My favourites were Sainsbury and Tesco…and M&S for some super bits and bobs.

1 Like

No, I lived in Germany where that was normal.

Cos your super nice and with that
:womans_hat:Stella, I had you down as a deffo Waitrose lady :handbag::shopping:

Nope… I don’t think I have ever shopped at Waitrose… not for any particular reason other than there was not one near where we lived in UK.

2 Likes

there are parts of France even the french are outsiders

1 Like

You write comedy very well. Have you published any?

1 Like