Are the French rude?

It’s always either four kisses in the part of Calvados I used to live and only two if you know them better.

yesterday in the shop (brico mache) i was greeted with handshakes as per norm for me and a new member of staff came up and went to say hello and while i know the rest f the staff by name I did not know them and was quite shocked that they went straight in for a kiss hello…

I was like WTH and got a couple of laughs from the other staff standing there as i was totally not prepared for a random person to just go for the kiss (yes they were female). One of the guys said something in french that I did not quite catch she then started to apologise to which I just said no problem and gave her the 2 kisses. (when i originally turned round she was literally by my face about to kiss me lol.

Its all about getting it right and even te french do not know half the time whats right and whats not.

If you forget don’t stress.

3 Likes

You feel it bad, but the small talk would be really annoying and intrusive for a french person. Being french, I often find really judgmental and an intrusion into my privacy when shop clerks or cashiers that I don’t know try small talk with me.

I think I know why, it is because I love that song