Are we there yet?

1 Like

I really wouldn’t fancy being the camera operator for that shot :rofl:

The simple answer to the question posed in the thread title is “No, but it’s just around the corner, give it 5 or 10 years”.

The problem is that has been the answer every year for about the last 50 years.

4 Likes

Oh, believe me, I know :laughing:

Rather than trying for fusion, why not use thorium instead of uranium-derived fuel? It was a straight choice going waaaaay back and the various governments plumped for uranium because you can make bombs out of the residue, which you can’t with thorium. I understand both China and India (and others?) are looking at this route since the waste products have been the biggest overall problem with nuclear power…

What happened to the hydrogen fuel idea?

Er. Boom! ?

How long can you wait for it to be developed into a usable technology? I suspect before fusion or thorium became mature everything will be run off better-efficiency solar and wind. They can chuck lots of money at these theoretical energy sources but more practical solutions are here now.

To be honest, I think we need both. Solar and wind are absolutely vital and should be a lot better exploited than they are (particularly in the UK but everywhere could do with improvement). I’m not convinced that they can be sufficient on their own though. I think thorium may well be a lot more practical than fusion, particularly with other countries working at it quite intensively, but it certainly isn’t this year!

1 Like

I wondered that too and didn’t want to end up with a white elephant in five years so I did a bit of research before I ordered an EV… This guys seems to sum it well.

1 Like

No different to wife cooking the dinner, often goes plasma :joy:

The waste from Thorium reactions is described as being even worse than from existing processes. We don’t need more lethal spent nuclear material to deal with. There is no foolproof, safe way of storing it.

1 Like

That’s not exactly true.

In fact, by and large, it’s completely untrue.

I’d provide a reference, there are dozens, but you will be better served by just googling “nuclear waste myths”

I have thorium electrodes for my welder.

I’m sure I could field equal numbers disputing that.

Please do.

You first

:face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow: really.

Well, umm your claim came first. But Hey Ho.

https://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2021/12/06/the_biggest_myth_about_nuclear_waste_804987.html

2 Likes

I would very much like to see fusion power, if for no other reason than it doesn’t have the psychological baggage of nuclear power, so should be readily adopted. Also we’ll probably need it to help us harness the rather larger scale fussion reactor that’s been working for a long time not so very far away.