Are you an artist, or not?

hmmmm yes, but to me there are multitudes of dimensions in painting, and less in drawing… which at face value does not make sense. But think about tones, and then you start to have pictures :slight_smile:

I am of an artist ( painters) age, where i never used white spirit in the first place. After reading/ listening to different things, decided to use liquin as Suzy does. This not only thins paint, but dries for the following day.

Also use odourless thinner for to aid brush cleaning, and a sort of brush wash.

I actually put both products in a sealable glass jar, and they separate naturally. So this means i can totally thin out the paint in the brushes, and clean them in one :smiley:

I know what you mean; it does sound counter-productive.

From what I understand, there is a process that emulsifies so it does work; I’d included the link to Gail Salzman’s work because it seemed to perhaps show how it looks. She’s had many years of practice, so that might be the key.

I looked at her work, her big format paintings are impressive, though I’m not into abstract works. That style of painting maybe doesn’t need the butteriness of oils that portrait painting needs.

I’ve just realised that 2 old family pictures are just oil paint on cardboard… obviously the family simply used whatever was to hand.

Must date from around 1900, so I reckon it is amazing they still survive…I’ll get them reframed and hung one of these days… perhaps…:relaxed:

An artist friend of mine painted on the canvas that was the canopy from cafés, so he painted on a bright red background. I thought I’d try these new watercolour canvas, nice to have the mount already in place as in regular canvases. They’re awful, not at all like watercolour paper. I suppose one could develop a style to paint on them. I ended up drawing on top of the washes. Has anyone tried them with success?

I wouldn’t class myself as an artist but I have worked as an art technician in several colleges including Dartington College of Arts, and as a theatre technician for a long time - so I facilitate artists.
I’d say that it’s probably easier to define what is not art than what is - but even that isn’t easy: there are often overlaps.
At Dartington, on the course “Art and social context”, one of the students who had got together with a “traveller” lady, wanted to make an old fashioned four wheeled horse-drawn cart, and he asked me if I’d mind if he used the workshop facilities. I had no objections to helping him out but I pointed out that his project was not art but “craft”: many such had been made before to a design that had evolved over a long period. Well, he made it, and he made a nice job of it, with some old steel spoked wheels he found and some excellent craftsmanship both in metalworking and woodworking. It was very pleasing.
And then he told me that he’d convinced his tutors to accept it as his degree piece and written an explanation as to why it fitted the criteria of the degree - and he got a 2:1.
I congratulated him - as much as anything for conning his tutors - because he knew that I knew that he knew ……
A wink’s as good as a nod to a blind horse.

1 Like