Are You Bothered? Yet.....?

No problems with that Veronique,
I have always enjoyed history & especially of politics, from what I see, the French Communist party played a major role after the war.

Update to this…the agent called this evening…he apologised for his “mauvais anglais” and I apologised for my “mauvais francais”…I was thrilled that I understood so much of what he was saying even if my replies were maybe “mauvais francais”…apparently there are 3 English people in our commune of which I’m one… which makes the effort by our mayor to also write the newsletter in English even more lovely…to me…

I also found out that he lives on a local farm and I loved how his nails looked much like mine…no suit…no perfect manicure…just a close knit rural community regardless…:heart:

3 Likes

@Helen6 “…just a close-knit local community”…

Yes, Helen, this being more and more impressed on me by people ‘du coin’, who seem anxious to make me understand that this shared life is the key to happiness and security “il faut comminiquer…” they say, with meaning in their voices and a searching look at one’s response.

Several old-established neighbours near me have told me about “Monsieur et Madame H” who live in a huge three storey house a stone’s throw from ours, but set well back from the road. They say he is English and was big in the TV world, and his wife is Portuguese. Although he says “Bonjour” they say, he has never had a conversation with any of his neighbours in 9 years of living amongst them.

Of course, it may well be his choice, some people are not at all gregarious and value privacy. But it does seem to bother people whose lives otherwise touch his in subtle ways, and leave one wondering “Why is he here?”, when there is so much warmth and goodwill to share, and at no cost to oneself.

3 Likes

I often get asked to ensure that all Brits know what is going on…

We are a large Commune, with only a small population, and we rely on the bonds of friendship and goodwill… to thrive… and survive…

Why doesn’t XXXXX ever come… and I get interrogated : You did you tell him/her/whoever… didn’t you ??? :thinking:

I find myself making excuses for the same people, time after time (when they have “promised”)… but once I replied… “well, some folk simply like to do their own thing”… that was accepted and understood (albeit with a glum look) … and I was told of M/Mme/Mlle … certain Locals who never join in, never attend, never support :zipper_mouth_face:

Makes me feel just a little better to know that … :thinking::zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

We had our first encounter with the GJ’s on Wednesday on a roundabout near Caen, they were peaceful enough. Although a little shocked by the damaged they had caused to the road signs with their fires on the tarmac. We didn’t have to engage them fortunately as I’m not sure our French is anywhere near up to that kind of interaction just yet. But, it did make me think I need to read up and understand a bit more about their concerns etc.

1 Like

@Stella '… makes me feel a liitle bit better just to know that" :thinking::zipper_mouth_face:

This is a very important post for me, Stella, it has cime as a huge surprise to me and a comfort to find that the French people who surround us are so eager and willing to reach out to strangers, but need to see a sign of willingness on the part of newcomers, howver clumsy or inept that might be. Then they repay that signal with great warmth and generosity, they actually reach oit to physically touch one, a hand on the arm lightly placed perhaps, or as yesterday with the walnut man, a man I had never spoken to before, who leaned in on me shoulder lightly touched to shoulder in a brotherly way to share a smiled plaisanterie.

One can see the meaning in bisous and handshakes, they keep the bond alive in every day neighbourly relationships. They enable each other to survive.

You do this too. Bisous. xx :hugs:

1 Like

Late last year when the demonstrations first started I first made sure I had a good idea of what the protests were about and then brushed up on the French for agreement and support…(in the case of support then I double checked that I wasn’t going to be inadvertently chatting about stanchions…!)

Ever since I’ve been here if I’m likely to be in a situation where my comprehension of fast spoken French is likely to be awkward…(often) then I always jump in first with “I’m sorry…I’m English” spoken in French…to head off any potential misunderstanding…Speaking that sentence in French sort of gives whoever I’m speaking to an idea that I can speak a little French but that I’m not at all fluent…

Admittedly I’ve only ever come across peaceful protesters on roundabouts but then I have little reason to go to the cities…x

There are non-peaceful ones in the countryside though, unfortunately. My experience with the Gilets Jaunes is a mixed bag, they blocked off my usual onramp to the autoroute 4 times so far, and twice it was all fine and dandy with one toll lane open to let people through, and a generally very relaxed attitude from everyone involved. The other two times there were burning tires and a really ugly atmosphere, including both times someone actually trying to open my car door.

It can go both ways, I guess :slight_smile:

3 Likes

There was yet more violence, damage and disruption in Bordeaux yesterday, sadly two months on from the start of the protests people are now getting used to this so avoid the city centre on Saturday afternoon which is having an effect on the businesses and workers. The government seem clueless, maybe they think this will simply go away but I doubt it, France is starting to look as leaderless as the UK.

4 Likes

On Saturdays ruptly livestream from Paris…for the most part it’s peaceful until it isn’t…This Saturday Jérôme Rodrigues one of the more prominent gilet jaunes was live-streaming and got hit in the face and it seems likely he too will lose his eye…

Other gilet jaunes are putting forward candidates for the European elections in May which seem to already have garnered a 13% support…taking 12% from MLP and only 1% from Macron…if the polls are to be believed…

I dunno…it doesn’t seem to be showing any of signs of going away yet…???

When this all started I mentioned to my wife the surprising lack of the generally pervasive CGT flags. Yet the anarchic approaches were totally in evidence which are the declared aims of the CGT (read their own brochures and history if you don’t believe me).
For a ‘spontaneous’ movement it seems to have been well-organised and now suddenly thousands of leaflets demanding their ‘own’ Grand Debate. So where does the funding come from? Why is there a distinct commonality of thugs and looters with everything the CGT gets involved in? Imagine my ‘shock, horror’ at suddenly seeing ‘the CGT walks hand in hand with the Yellow Vests’?
Not really.

The Five Star Italian government seems to be hand in glove withthese guys.

Another crazy afternoon in Toulouse today full of those Jilly Joneses in their camp little yellow jackets (some adorned with camp yellow hats and gasmasks!) - happily trashing the heart of this beautiful city and abusing our police officers.

My thoughts are with those trying to earn a living and survive the now 13 weeks of riots. Most of the shops, restaurants and attractions in central Toulouse are now simply closed on Saturdays - what used to used their busiest trading day, family day - generally a bloody good day out now ruined by their ‘fellow citizens’. Appalling and shameful :angry:

To be honest - it was just lovely to be out of France for a few days this week and experience a positive, upbeat environment. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Les Misérables get to me sometimes…

3 Likes

It is just too awful. Can’t believe how long they are keeping this going on…

We are due to go to Bergerac in a couple of weeks… a Saturday… and I’m really not looking forward to that trip. But for us, it is for the pleasure, so we can stay home :roll_eyes: … but, all those wanting/trying to make a living… they are going through a really difficult time…

1 Like

Same thing in Bordeaux Simon - What l’m having difficulty with is why do the prefectures grant them permission knowing that the shit will hit the fan and destruction, disorder and serous injury will follow. Surely the financial loss to hard working people and the town should now be a major concern.

I watched some BFM coverage today - lt showed casseurs fucking up atm machines and smashing up Insurance companies en route and the ‘law abiding’ GJ stood by and watched. This was in Paris and l must say the cops looked dead on their feet - not surprising mistakes can be made - In my view it’s about time the Army were given special powers and helped out on Saturdays.

1 Like

Me too Dan - I have a real problem sorting it out in my brain!!?? (surprise!) It feels like the ‘authorities’ almost encourage the behaviour. It was good (although terribly sad) to see tear gas and water cannon being used in Toulouse today and I completely support the Army being brought in. On that point - many posters on BFM’s FB page are asking the exact same question i.e. where is the Army and what has to happen before they are brought in? The aggression and derision demonstrated by the Jilly’s is really sinister.

But hey- right to strike, right to demonstrate, right to solidarity - right to do just about anything you feel like doing. All in the name of Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité - makes me :face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting:

1 Like

Is it the case that splits are starting to appear?

2 Likes

A bit too close to home.

1 Like

I was in Bergerac today and didn’t see anything untoward going on. If there was a hoo ha I missed it.

That’s good news Vero… it’s their annual Bourse… a lot of planning and hardwork go into that Weekend… so I hope it is not disrupted.

We go nearly every year and meet up with our car-crazy friends from all over…