Are you scared of political correctness?

For those that have taken exception to my opinion of Lawyers, it is based on personal experience with over 30 of that profession, As to the making of the Law--I know that it is the Government that make Law with guidance and input from guess who Lawyers. I dont need you to agree with me just respect my right to hold and express my opinion, if not then PC off.

spoken by one who proves the point no doubt.

Statistics show that Swedish Girl Scouts are extremely dangerous.

Presumably then Jim you'd be happy to represent yourself in court; In which case it's well to consider the old adage that anyone who does so has a fool for a client.

Thank you Maria. I know plenty of human rights lawyers. They are dedicated to the lives of others and I am yet to meet a rich one.

At least you don't need to answer a questionnaire about race here before you make a planning application for a small extension to a house! One's rage is about the invasion of privacy, general busibodiness, waste of time and money which has exploded the numbers of people involved in such tasks in the UK. Often the work is outsourced now to keep the apparent number of publicly employed people down.

Once upon a time people in the legal profession where veiwed as the good guys (and guyettes). I have to deal with these people, I think Jim "parasite is a good word. Unfortunately those claims companies have made a mess of things, they have tarnished the profession to such an extent they have dragged the "proper" solicitors down with them. Speak to some Corporate Legals and see what they think, very dim view of their ambulance chasing colleagues.

Either way, bloody expensive to use and when I do have to use them I have such an empty feeling at the end, empty bank account that is, combined with another feeling that I have been robbed.

Hehe, nor me. H&S likewise here… As it should be!

do we think there is pc in France to the same extent as the UK? Personally, I dont think so...

I did research this matter first, but restricted my findings to The UK. As always, figures can be misleading depending on whether one considers prevalence, susceptibility or high risk groups. However this is one extract I relied on.......

By mid 2012, 54,558 MSM (Males having Sex with Males) had been diagnosed with HIV in the UK.4 The number of new HIV diagnoses among this group has been steadily increasing since 2001 - peaking in 2007 at 2,818. It is likely this trend is due to an increase in HIV testing, although a rise in high risk sexual behaviour has also been suggested as a contributory factor.5 6

Anyway, I was making the point that disproportionate attention was being focussed on the lesser causes of spreading the disease.

wrong!!!!---would never be happy needing the services of a self perpetuating parasitic lawyer, they make and use the law for one reason only--to make money.

I detest PC. In the UK at one time, I worked for SE Essex College at Southend. I ended up leaving because I could not stand the one day a month lecture we all had to go to (what a waste of public money!) which was a full day and went on about PC each time. We weren't allowed to take a day's leave to avoid it either. What with that and not caring whether a student was interested and just being sure of bums on seats, I gave up and resigned. Shame, I worked with some nice people.

I did not learn from that later on I worked for a huge company and ended up in H&S. 22 H&S engineers to do nothing but risk assessments, pages of ridiculous paperwork and stupid things that were just common sense. That job pushed me over the top and I almost had a breakdown;)

The big issue PC raises is whether it is one way or not. That depends. So that if one happens to be a white European it is not acceptable to call a person of African ancestry by the N word but he or she may do so without us correcting them. Such tosh. The matter of certain children's rhymes from the Victorian period that are now 'unacceptable' flies in the face of reason. They were written with the now taboo words and either those rhymes should be defunct entirely because of their age or else we should recant them as they are and be able to explain and discuss the use of language then. Not get ourselves lined up for 'circumstances' as an outcome. How do we now read work by James Baldwin who used words now scorned, well certainly no public readings. Ditto Samuel Beckett or James Joyce who used what was used in their lifetimes and not what goes today. Why, in the world of literature, are we lead by examples of what a white author might write but those who are not still get away with far more without censure? Everyday language is one thing, and just to lead by good example we might take it easy but about EVERYTHING we say in case it is sexist, racist or something else along those lines! It is not real, people do not spend their whole time thinking about what is permitted and what is not, the occasional slip should go without apology and if jokes can be told on one side of the PC fence then why not on the other? None of it has anything to do with real life and the people who spend their whole lives policing what others say, think, write, etc have a serious problem. It used to be said that it takes a dirty mind to know one. People who are always PC and need to constantly goad others have something of that about them in my mind.

You are wrong, Martin. AIDS is now spread mainly by heterosexual males.

This is how I handle being politically correct now. When I talk about incidents in which I have been "victimized" during my travels or residence in France, be it pickpocketing, swarming, carjacking, handbag-snatching, being followed, whatever, I no longer refer to the perpetrators' ethnic profiles. I invented a new profile: Swedish Girl Scouts. One time in the Paris Metro, I managed to fight off a Swedish Girl Scout who had lifted my wallet out of my handbag. With her and her Swedish Girl Scout partner screaming, swearing, kicking and trying to fight me off. But I won. Now I can freely tell my stories without appearing prejudiced. Of course, one day the Swedish Girls Scouts, if they even exist, will protest if they hear about me, but in the meantime, I'm safe and can tell the story without being chided for my lack of empathy for certain cultural groups in certain circumstances where a crime is being perpetuated.

I have to second what Stephanie says. WHO statistics on a worldwide basis say as much. The source of transmission varies from country to country, but globally it's heterosexual. It is incorrect (not PC incorrect) to think of AIDS as a gay disease. And I'm not out to be PC, one of my favourite journalists was the late great and offensive Christopher Hitchens. I may have disagreed with much of his politics, but I had a good laugh about what he had to say on a number of sacred cows, guaranteed to offend certain audiences. It depends on the context in which one is speaking and writing, who the audience is, and it helps if one is a brilliant and logical writer. Just Google Hitchens+Princess Diana+Mother Teresa and you'll see what I mean. There's a difference between giving an opinion, writing satire, and quoting statistics. I try not to mix them up and to be selective about the audience. What I say in the company of my sisters over a bottle of wine is different from what I say in front of a group of strangers.

We stopped giving to the Fed Cross when they forbade their charity shops from putting nativity scenes in their windows at Christmas, for fear of offending people of other faiths.
What is it about us that we have let minorities take over our way of life, it really is time it was stopped.
The Human Rights Act, which was a good idea, has also been taken over by anyone who thinks they have a grievance. We cannot deport criminals who have children here, as their right to a family life is more important than their being an upright citizen.
I had this law used against me by my natural mother to prevent me from finding my father. She took out an injunction against me and then found out that because of the Human Rights Act, it would have to go to the High Court. Eventually she withdrew as she would have to face me. Can you tell me what type of law it is that makes a person face the cost of a High court case because they want to find their father?

Spot on Vic!

Be who you are & say what you think because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind

Saw something on FB recently which struck me as very true...quote from the oft maligned rapper, Eminem . I will not try and requote exactly but it went something along the lines of " I don't care if you are black or white, rich or poor, straight or gay....if you're nice to me I'll be nice to you, simple as that". Which is pretty much how I try and live my life. I also think that it is within our own power to choose to be offended or not by the comments of others - if we choose to ignore their snipes, they have no power over us and therefore count for nought. I think people are far too ready to be offended and insulted as this seems the easy option over arguing your own corner or indeed entering into a healthy debate... I find this is especially true re religion which seems to be the last bastion of taboo for criticism or comedy.