Art lovers pilgrimages...Heading to the US.?....stay at Van Gogh's place

As a tribute to the man himself, whilst the exhibition is on at the Art Institute of Chicago......see this link...

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/10981658

Nice idea, I think....

As a Vermeer fan (and the Golden age of Dutch painting), I have stayed in Delft and sought out his work and his grave, etc...Listened to the carillion bells from the Kirke in the square that he would have heard and bought a tape of them...

I still have in my ( bucket list) to make some pilgrimages to Arles, Aix, Couilliures....Mont St Victoire,Brittany etc...

Where have you been that has fired your imagination artistically ?

The Kunsthistorisches Museum in Vienna is a fine collection. It is a bitter austere through and the octagonal dome area, where the little shop is, so elaborate and overpowering I find the place a bit stifling. I do also like older art, Renaissance right through Romantic but the contemporary art galleries are generally nicer places to be in, more light and breathing space feeling whereas the Dali Museum is simply funny so really a pleasure that one can also laugh at/with.

On a 5 day trip with a cousin, to New York, 20 plus years ago (just Manhatten actually), of course went to the Guggenheim & the Metropolitan, but also visited the Frick collection, as it had a Vermeer that I wanted to see in the flesh....

I have to get to Austria( Vienna), to the Kunshistoriche (?) Museum....It has one of the larger and most intriguing Vermeers...'The painter in his studio/Allegory of Fame'.....A 'must see' in my book...

In 2014 we stayed at a hotel in Berlin where all of the tiling in the reception and corridors was like Mondrian's 'squares', all in white, black and primary colours. That was superb. When I have travelled I have often tried to find time for gallery visits so I have made the Museum of Modern Art in New York, Guggenheim Museum Bilbao, Galleria degli Uffizi Florence, Pergamon Museum Berlin and dozens of others. I think the one I liked best was DalĂ­'s Theatre-Museum in Figueres.