Asian Hornets

After the mild winter, higher numbers are being forecast, these are more aggressive than European ones, and very damaging to honey bees, our Marie contributes to the cost of destroying nests. A nest can contain 5k hornets.

1 Like

Had one in the house last year!

Whoops James! :open_mouth:
B’ had one on her arm thinking about disappearing up her sleeve, I knocked it off and gave it a good ‘squashing’ :wink:

1 Like

Had one in the house last year!

Ditto, small (maybe 12-15cms diameter) fairly late on and almost certainly a secondary nest.

Can of RAID sorted it, not sure I’d want to tackle a larger one without proper help.

1 Like

The cheap Super U spray, ‘COBRA’ is oddly, useless for flies, but deadly on wasps and hornets, immediate ‘knock down’ :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’ll look out for it - does the Malansac store stock it?

They do Paul :+1:

Thanks for that Bill. Trouble with wasps already and a queen hornet sighted.

1 Like

I must make some new traps to put round the garden perimeter.

I disagree that Asian hornets are more aggressive to humans than the European species I have lived with both none of which have ever attacked me (European hornets fly all night, at least the Asians go to bed ) despite old fruit fermenting in my orchard
I agree they are a threat to Bee hives but not great threat to humans mostly living in trees rather than roofs or out building

You must remember both species are important in reducing other greater insect pests as summer and early Autumn they are carnivorous

1 Like

You are a lucky Bunny crakpot :+1:

1 Like

I am always a lucky bunny
thanks bill

1 Like

I think we will beed to do the same as we have quite a few around here.

1 Like

We had at least 50 in the traps a while ago, B’ had an Asian on her arm, considering going up her sleeve, I knocked it off and gave it a good ‘squishing’, anyone who considers them ‘helpful little chaps’, is very welcome to our share, we will struggle along without! :slightly_smiling_face:

Royan, a small town near us is giving every resident a free trap for Asian hornets. I believe the idea is that putting them out now will catch the queens as they emerge after winter.

Have you guys seen this ?

What a brilliant way of dealing with the problem. I then scrolled down to see a horrific piece on forced organ donation. I have no words.