Auto-Entrepreneurs chat (no specific topic in this thread)

provided ypur turnover is constant then you should be ok, Wendy. Try and collect as many expenses as possible to put against income. I kept my turnover just under whilst an AE translating and teaching to keep things easy and because I think it's better as there aren't many "charges" in that line of work. Plus charges sociales are 48% + IR in the real world which makes staying an AE very attractive. I can't really speak from experience even though I made the change 4 years ago as I'm in a completely different line of work set up as a SNC (entreprise) with OH as an associée and now have an employee.

The thing is, I've exceeded the threshold by about €10k, not just a few hundered euros, and I just want to know what's in store and avoid getting letters from someone telling me I haven't done something which I was unaware that I should have done!

Hi Wendy, if you went over by 10, 000, you have 2 years to settle things and change your status, if you keep going over, that is. If it's a one off, I'd ask URSSAF to make an exception (go there in person and talk to someone face to face) and let you keep your AE status. More information here, in French, of course http://www.planete-auto-entrepreneur.com/autoentrepreneur/foire-aux-questions/662-que-se-passe-t-il-en-cas-de-depassement-de-chiffre-daffaires.html

Andrew, collecting expenses against income isn't possible with the AE status. A big surprise and disappointment for many!

There's a lot of info here, Celia: https://www.apce.com/pid15034/entrepreneur-individuel-micro-entrepreneur.html?espace=1 . The main difference seems to be that you have to keep proper books (groan), not just a record of income, and how much you have to pay in 'cotisations sociales'.

Thanks Marie-Claire, I'll take a look!

I went over on my first year because I didn't realise they calculated the limit pro-rata. Even though it was a one off they put me up to micro entreprise but nothing seems to have changed much including the annual limit - it's the same!

Interesting! I don't want to deliberately try to earn less, though. This is the first time since we came to France 23 years ago, that I'm actually earning more than I was in the UK.

Hi Sarah. From Jan 1st this year all auto-entrepreneurs became micro-entrepreneurs, so that may explain why nothing seems to have changed in terms of Chiffres D'Affaires limits and other factors, now that you are called a micro-entreprise. It is possible that they have not acted on you exceeding your pro rata limits, because you are allowed one year of excess. If you stay under the second year, you will remain a micro-entrepreneur ( Auto-Ent as was ). At least thats how I understand it.

https://www.apce.com/pid6185/l-auto-entrepreneur.html?espace=1

I know, Marie-Claire, I was an AE for 4 years, I was talking about the standard scheme, which I've been in for the last 4 years and which was asked about, where the key is expenses to set off against profits ;-)

Wendy, I can remember being told years ago to work out at what point it wasn't worth working here in france (by French work mates at the CCI) although it seemed barking mad to an anglo saxon at the time, I've been living by it for years now ;-)

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who responded to my recent post about exceeding the AE threshold...I was going to add it to the discussion, but everything seems scrambled and I can't access it. I think i'm going to find myself an accountant.

Wendy - I didn't respond, but I echo your thanks!!! it's been a great discussion to follow from the sidelines ( i bookmarked it for 2026 when I too hope to exceed the threshold!)

Hi Wendy, some of the old group content is a little out of order still, we're working in it though! Thanks for your patience.

James