Auto-Entrepreneurs chat (no specific topic in this thread)

l have recently moved here (10 days ago) and am looking to work from home as a Virtual PA. l have an admin, sales, marketing and retail management background and would welcome comments on the correct siret number, type of work there is out there, reasonable chargeable rates and all other types of advice! to get going.. In the UK, l have only worked under the normal PAYE system..and my French is very limited , so international / English speaking clients only at first. Many thanks in advance.

Thank you Alex I will read your blog now.

Hi Elaine - If you've been living here a while, you'll know it's unnecessarily complicated and no one actually knows for sure. But my current feeling is, if you do a declaration simple (or write a letter saying you're going to do it) by Dec 31, you're good to go the following year. At least, this is what my mayor thinks and what we did, eventually. (I've written a whole blog about our glampsite in France experience, which you can read here at some point.)

The best thing would be to go ahead and do it. Set-up costs should pay back in the first two years - tent, floor, furnishings. And you may need to replace the cover every couple of years, or buy a more long-lasting polycotton and take the tent(s) down over the winter and store in a mouse-proof place. The blog covers most things, but the rules change every second Thursday and I don't have the time to keep up to date with that - we've got a glampsite to run...

I don’t intend it to be major just one tent using the facilities of the house and I am an artist so that will be my primary activity. But you never know how things could develop so will check first with mairie for clarity.

you may need planning permission if you're going to be taking money/if it's a business. Best check at la mairie ;-)

Would this apply if you wanted to pitch a couple of bell tents for seasonal ‘clamping’ declare at Mairie/tourist office?

Yes, something about simply declaring your B&B or Gite to either chamber of commerce or tourist office, I cannot remember exactly, but is definitely something other than AE for a small tourism business like accommodation. Less taxes, as far as I can remember.
I would also love to know the proper stance on this…

right on your form - when you become an AE - does it tell you how much they are going to take off you ie the percentage - for me B & B we are expecting it to be 14% & the percentage for income tax is that right

all out of sync! Yes, Tracy, 48% of profits, yes very long story ;-)

re expenses - get the end customer to pay invoices direct for materials etc ;-)

Doh, now my comment is out of sync you two!

But, its 48% (I thought it was 43% actually) of your profit, not your turnover. I have changed to mainstream and it's cost me less in social charges than as AE even allowing for the adjustment which they have done this year not in year 3! Long story as usual :-(

Ooops, just reread the comment you were replying to, Brian, yes 24% ;-)

No Brian, charges sociales in the mainstream regimes are 48%, then impôts etc...! :-O which is why the AE regime suits so many ;-)

Probably 26% social charges each quarter like yours truly then tax at the end of the year. Accounts you keep yourself, paying a vulture is simply thrown away money for nothing. Charges are all on turnover, so that if you earn €3000 over a quarter and have €800 expenses out of pocket, turnover is €3800 and your 26% is on the lot. So creative thinking needs be done such as getting expenses back directly - know what I mean, wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

Make sure books are kept precisely though, since if they ask to see your accounts then they have to match to the centime. That is about it in potted version, other people can fill in various details no doubt.

http://blog.mdsap.fr/2012/06/14/auto-entrepreneurs-vous-voulez-travailler-dans-les-espaces-verts/ been given this link - so if nicholas went as a self contractor - does anyone know anything about it - as we've only ever looked at Auto E... ????????????????????? i.e. social charges, taxes, accounts etc.

Hi - now that handyman/gardening has been taken out of the AE scheme we are looking at PETITS TRAVAUX DE NETTOYAGE as a way of getting Nicholas to do his handyman type work.... do you think this would work and also re the social charge - we know the running of the B & B is 14% - but is it 24% for other services.... are we missing something...

Have a look at the new discussion above about changing regimes when you are near the limit.

as I said earlier, the safest is to get the client to pay the expense direct - the fisc can't then et you fornot claiming sometning ;-)

if you're near the limit and have expenses then it makes sense to go over to the standard scheme ;-)