Autumn Market in Cernex, Haute Savoie – Marché d’Automne

Cernex Autumn Fair

Cernex Autumn Fair

Cernex in the Haute Savoie in France is a rural village with some 900 inhabitants, nestled in a valley and surrounded by mountain ranges, it is a village with a 360 degree fantastic view! Cernex is approx 20 kms from both Geneva and Annecy, but has retained its rural charm and although almost a third of Cernex's inhabitants commute to Geneva to work, the community and village life is very much alive with local events.

Guess the weight of the pumpkins

Guess the weight of the pumpkins

Local autumnal produce for sale

Local autumnal produce for sale

Since we moved here, we have found attending local village events is by far the best way to integrate with our fellow Cernexiens and Cernexiennes (as the locals are known) and there are many fun local events to attend during the year, from vide greniers (the car boot sale) to apple fairs and Music festivals. At all of these events one can expect to find some good freshly cooked food and the wine tent! Last weekend I went along to the Autumn Market. This was a very well attended event and money was being raised for the village school. Having lived here since October 2009 I was delighted to see so many neighbours and local people that I now know and know me to 'faire la bises' (french cheek kissing) and whom I can chat with en francais! I felt very welcome.

Escargot Tasting

Escargot Tasting
L'ESCARGOTIERE D'ARNO
Arnaud Deransy
74440 MEUSSY

Chocolate Delights - from local chocolatier - Revedechoc in Minzier

Chocolate Delights - from local chocolatier - Revedechoc in 74270 Minzier

There were a few local producers, a wonderful baker baking traditional bread in a wood oven, a guess the weight of the pumpkin stall, escargot tasting, a chocolatier, confitures and autumn fruit and veg being sold. Lunch and snacks were available, the obligatory cake stall and of course the vin chaud! Inside there were local craftsmen displaying wood turning and some beautiful hand crafted wooden pieces, basket weaving, Christmas decorations and jewellery making.

Basket Weaving

Basket Weaving

Individual handmade Christmas decorations by a local jewellery maker

Individual handmade Christmas decorations by a local jewellery maker

Wood Turning

Wood Turning

Here is the link to our village website listing the next few local events in Cernex

Sunset over Cernex

Sunset over Cernex