Back Pain - do you suffer and what do you do to help it?

Lol…my raw fed Border Collies are shiny and glossy…me I’m a little ahem cough dishevelled from my first 18 months in Brittany but soooo love it here…x :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi Chris,

A ‘kine’ is a kinesiotherapist is basically what we would know as a physiotherapist - and as long as you have a prescription from your doctor, and a mutuelle, it will not cost you anything.

A 'chiropractor, on the other hand is normally something you have to pay for yourself. Fees are generally higher, and while some mutuels will give you a contribution, a lot will not.

That is why French folks love their kine- and I have to admit that mine is a life-saver, fabulous lady!

I haven’t needed one since living here thankfully, hence my ignorance with kinesiotherapist. I resorted to a chiropractor in the uk before my disc problem was diagnosed, but the only thing he relieved me of was money…
My physio certainly saved my sanity!

Hello Stella, I have a home traction device called Nubax which I really, really recommend. I use it 2 or 3 times a day for 2 or 3 minutes at a time. After a few weeks I had improvement and now after over a year I have no pain at all. My condition is a slipped vertebra but I believe the device is effective for most back problems. Bought mail order from lesmauxdedos.com

I have had 3 partially prolapsed discs for a few years now. Physio helped for a while but the longest lasting assistance has come from Pilates exercises. These have helped to build stronger core muscles, especially the deeper ones that we rarely use these days. The stronger core helps provide support when lifting or working, and the exercises themselves made me more aware of how I approach tasks.
I have not had an “episode” for over 3 years now.

Hiya,

I have 3 herniated lumbar discs and 2 cervical discs and now arthritis in the cervical spine too. Over the years, osteo and kiné have helped to ease associated muscle pain in the very short term but does nothing long term for me.

I had 2 epidural injections, (called ‘infiltrations’ here I think) and this gave excellent pain relief (100%) for 9-12 months each. Requires 1/2 day in hospital. Is great for enabling a prolonged period of strengthening exercise (preferably under supervision by your kiné) and swimming without pain, thereby allowing you to try for a long term solution.

A decade of Tramadol stripped my digestive system - to be avoided!! Currently on Co-Doliprane but also has its digestive side-effects.

One GREAT purchase - and I highly recommend the investment of 70-90€ or so - a ‘Tapis Champs de Fleurs’. Best thing for me after trying allsorts over 18 years (TENS machine, Shiatsu machine, heat patches…you name it). Thousands of acupressure points that stimulate circulation and release of endorphins plus other benefits. Easily portable, very effective, best thing I’ve paid for in relation to my back. Reports say it works to relieve back pain from multiple causes. Contact me if you want to know more.

I had the disc between my C4 and C5 vertebrae removed about 20 years ago. Life has been much better since then but I suffer from sciatica particularly in my left leg at times. If I have back problems these days a gentle walk tends to sort it out quite well. I am a fairly active person and walk or cycle for a couple of hours every day anyway.

Thank you for this link. We have just bought one, but from UK. It costs much less and if you have a sterling account you don’ take the hit on the exchange rate.