Banking recommendations for new arrivals?

That all sounds like Lloyd’s are listening to their customers…???

Where I lived previously in uk a local bank in a nearby village used by many shut it’s doors leaving all its customers having to travel much further including my elderly and disabled mom…lack of parking and lack of accessibility made life much more difficult for her…

I remain happy with my choice of bank here…(I no longer have a uk bank account) and continue to be happy with the fact that my bank manager is easily accessible through their app and should problems or queries arise which they haven’t for a long while then I can make an appt online or just walk into a local branch very close to where I live…

My elderly disabled mom in uk also changed her banking provider…and via an LPA I am able to help her with her everyday banking needs…

I found it quite appalling how loyal customers over many years were treated by some banking institutions…it’s our money after all but going on my elderly mom’s experience you would think that particular bank regarded it as theirs…

It would seem so. In fact, I do believe that some businesses and institutions like banks and gov depts [in UK] have had a Damascene moment or period. Some years ago somewhere in the high management of these companies the question was asked “For whom does this business/department exist?” The answer turned out to be ‘the client/customer’, of course.

And from that moment on, the entities that understood this changed their attitude from “This job would be great if it wasn’t for the bloody customers” to “How can I be of help?”

I cannot fault the service I get on the phone from Lloyds. Their mobile app is a model of slickness and utility.

I can’t speak for other banks, except Santander UK and SP both have poorly designed, rather clunky phone and online facilities and their staff are hampered by that, be they ever so willing to try to help. I gave up on Santa because of this. M

My experiences with Barclays and NatWest, years ago in the days of branch managers, were dismal.

When ny father died, my mother and I sat in the manager’s office to arrange the closure of his account and the transfer of all D/Ds to her a/c. He closed her account and my father’s account, frozen by law, remained extant. I wrote to Barclay’s CEO. The manager was sacked.

Ironically, the CEO of Barclays PLC was also sacked, not long after … :slightly_smiling_face:

And, from a very low base, the CS of DVLA and HMRC have both been transformed. I’ve had a spate of dealing with both those depts in the past couple of months. Their attitude was one of friendly [but not gushing] engagement and helpfulness. It didn’t used to be like this. It’s great and we are all the better for it.

The horror stories or just plain frustration with banking or bureaucracy in France, described by SF writers, is a reflection of the fact that this ‘customer facing’ improvement in attitude has not yet dawned on French institutions. A banking pal [French] says that HSBC stands for ‘How Simple Became Complicated’. It is the case that the ‘Latin’ countries are deeply suspicious of the Anglo-Saxon way of doing things.

All entrenched bureaucratic systems believe, to some degree, that they exist to serve themselves. This is certainly the case in Spain, where I am a.t.mo.

I noticed that most posts on this subject are 2018 and earlier. Has anyone got any 2020 ideas on the best bank to use? I am just at the point of moving and would like to open an account asap.

@Pedro1877 Some of that might be based on where your money is coming from and what you need to do when you get it.
You could for example (whilst still in the UK) open an account with Revolut (you can do it after moving but whilst in the UK might make life easier) to which funds from the UK can be paid in and then exchanged to Euro at the interbank rate. You can obtain a pre-payment card to go with it with which you can pay for groceries etc (contactless up to 50€) but you might have a problem setting up direct debits to the utilities because the IBAN is a UK one (it shouldn’t be a problem, but some have experienced problems).
We then use Banque Populaire Aquitaine Centre Atlantique for our main banking which has a high street branch close by to which our UK State Pensions are paid directly in Euro with additional funds transferred electronically from the Revolut account in Euro as required. The Banque Populaire on-line and mobile banking app is extremely secure and poses us no worries.

1 Like

Many thanks for that. On their website, Revolut say they provide you with an EU IBAN. Is it a French IBAN do you know? I want an online bank to pay into from my Carte Vitale when I eventually get mine. Would that work for the Carte Vitale people?

its a GB IBAN (the bank is based in UK).
I should mention that if you go on board with them, you will have to declare the account as a foreign account on your tax return - no big deal really.
Revolut say that it is an EU IBAN and there are EU regulations which make it illegal to refuse it within Europe (but who knows what will happen after 31st December 2020 viz a viz Brexshit)…

No experience of that, sorry. Ours goes to our French bank. There may be someone else who has their payments to a UK based bank who could perhaps advise on that…

Ah. :+1:cheers.

1 Like

Graham, you must also have got a Billy Doo from Revolut

" we have a company with an electronic money license in Lithuania as well. We set up this Lithuanian entity to ensure that our service would not be affected by Brexit.

In one month’s time, we will start moving our European customers over to this European electronic money license. You don’t need to do anything. We’ll take care of everything and contact you again when we have made the switch."

Maybe is will also sort the GB IBAN thing 'cos I s’pose it’ll be Lithuanian. :thinking:

I am pleased, in a cautious sort of way, that I took up your recommendation of Revolut.

Now that I have got my head round the less than idiot-proof phone app, it’s all going well. Money in from LLoyds - instanter. Exchange to Euros - instanter. How do they give I/Bank rate? Forward to SP bank - instanter.

I’m not as chuffed with the fact that a Revolut customer has £100 of mine that they should have 'fessed up to when it arrived in their a/c and certainly after Lloyds & Revolut identified the customer and asked them to ‘come forward’ - which they have not done.

Somehow, an account number - not mine - replaced the account number in my Lloyds list of payees that I had successfully used a number of times before. When the ton failed to show I sent a quid. That was a no-show, too, so I knew there was summat up. Applying via Lloyds, the quid was refunded in two weeks. The ton is still owing.

Next time I looked, it had changed back. £1 test deposits worked again.

Retaining a credit not intended for one is a criminal offence. I tried Rev’s chat c/s to ask why they continued to ‘harbour’ a customer who had been identified and was retaining money not intended for their a/c but the script of the chattah-wallah did not enable him to answer this direct question.

There is another step in the process of digging this tea-leaf out of his bunker but Lloyds told me it will take “a long time”. The floor of this depatment of Lloyds, in Glasgow, has been deserted ever since lock-down and c/s said that maybe one person would be sent there, in some weeks, to collect the post! My letter is probably #6,935.

1 Like

Someone hacked your account (Lloyds and or Revolut) or just finger trouble :thinking:

I have asked Rev to let me know the a/c # that this £100 went to. They know. Lloyds knows. It would be very useful if this was included in the transaction record but it isn’t. I asked but got bogged down in an interminable scripted rigmarole about ‘official confirmation’ of transfer - obviously a non-starter as it went AWOL.

But I recall it looked quite different - not just a digit or two - to the one I used later which was successful. I’m sure I didn’t change anything between the last successful transfer and the one that went AWOL. Why would I? And I didn’t do anything to reinstate the a/c number that works. I noticed it started with a 4, not a two, so sent it £1, which stuck

I smell a Revolting rat in the bilges.