Barclaycard

What i do not like about this site is the cutting and pasting . Ill have to look up a moderator.

Believe me. I have done the research. thought it was BS whenI heard, I saw an interveiw with a European Banker and an English politician during Brexit and Even the 60+ English guy took notes in the TV interview, had no idea. So I chased it up.

The City of London. Not London City as a whole is an area inside metropolitan London which sits outside the UK. Created years ago as a political thing. That is why the Banking is there. using the loophole

Remember when the news said the " the City is reporting" “I work In the City” " we have such and Such from the City"

I was stunned when I found out. Strange there was no Brexit agreement for the Banking sector? of course not, that’s why. Comes in Goes out never sees the UK.

Anyhow that’s me dome on this topic Im sure people will look it up. Have a good one

Now you’re talking complete rubbish. I worked in Canary Wharf for five years and its in the east of London - As Kirstea says in Tower Hamlets.
Barclays head office (and many others now) are in Canary Wharf.

The reason there was no deal on financial services is because the EU / UK were both being bullish and basically (i think) ran out of time and did not sit down to negotiate on it.

2 Likes

Well this has taken a bizarre turn!

I think Guruengineer must write for The Connexxion.

1 Like

So passive aggressive! A bit like the grandchildren when they haven’t got a leg to stand on…

Just think about it logically for a second. If you throw a brick through the window of a bank in the City it might be the CoL police who arrest you, but you will be dealt with by normal UK courts and UK law. When you pay your taxes, your local taxes go to the City, but your national taxes got to the UK government.

Yes it has special status and the right to be more self governing that any other area of the UK, but it is part of the UK.

I think what might have confused you is the recent very complex agreements by the OECD to seek exemptions for some financial services firms many of which (but not all) are located in the City. A bit like the double tax treaties so the big banking companies only pay tax once, helping keep the City competitive. And all the Government cronies. Of course the down side of this is the things they had to give away to get this deal, which hurt little people. But this is just a financial trade agreement.

2 Likes

The joy of this site is that we moderate the site ourselves. And we use extracts of each others’ posts so we can make it clear what we are talking about and draw on other sources (which we paste into our replies) to help explain / expand on what we are talking about.

By all means come back with an authoritative source that supports your assertion. Having worked for a number of financial institutions in the City as a consultant I remain to be convinced that what you are saying is correct.

4 Likes

Ive never laughed so loud…even woke my dogs up…
im taking my passport next time I pop into the city…
where do people get their information from !!!
ahhh back to work…

3 Likes

Well thats a whole load of stuff right there.

Ok

So Ok stand corrected on Canary Warf I’m not a southerner so don’t have the intimate knowledge of areas. Only managing businesses there.

yes some stuff there I had not researched. It took me ages to find out the ins and outs of the City Its not easy to find as the net just takes you around and around. doesn’t actually answer the questions and there are a lot out there.

Personal digs ? Like Grand child ? . Passive aggressive I’m not responsible for what you think or how you have been programmed. The topic was Barclay card it went off topic Simple. Appreciate your other info will look that up.

Cutting and pasting, It takes things out of context for me, but happy to join in with the majority.

And I do not write for connexions whatever that is.

Like the Constructive comments though.

Must get back to work.

thanks all

I’ve given up trying to understand Barclaycard’s policy. After I forget how many messages, and one actual letter, telling me my card would be cancelled on October 8, apparently nothing has happened. As there was no indication on the website whether the card had been cancelled, on Sunday I thought I’d find out by trying to pay for lunch at a local restaurant using the card. And it worked. And it worked again today at a local garage. So I can only assume that once again Barclaycard have changed their mind. Either that or they are just plain incompetent. So I shall continue to act as though nothing had happened until something does!

…I agree with @JaneJones , tosh, have worked in the City of London and the local government regime is not greatly different to any other second tier of local government or local policing.
It started years ago when the banks who had to transact with each other employed “messengers” to carry documents and clear cheques which is why banks of many types. Investment, Merchant and Clearing clustered near each other, and the accountants and lawyers to service them.

H*** yes. If you wanted to know who was who or what was what, being on good terms with your place’s messengers was essential if you worked in the City. When they got to know you, you could hear some interesting things … or receive a quiet word of advice just when you would have ‘put your foot in it’ otherwise.