Barnier's statement today :

1 Like

Not very optimistic reading but great for the hardline brexiteers.

but, but but… it was “oven ready” I hear you cry…
perhaps it’s still in the same fridge Doris is hiding in just now :roll_eyes:

1 Like

It was the Withdrawal Agreement which was “Oven Ready” (and with which the ERG would now like to dispense) - of course Johnson was happy for you to not notice exactly what he was offering.

I’d be more concerned if he said this in a couple of months time.

Given the progress to date (not much) an agreement looks most unlikely. Barnier always quotes Johnson but I’m sure he know that Johnson is clueless and just makes it all up. He’s now moved on from hiding in fridges to hiding in tents…

2 Likes

Reminds me of a joke…

2 Likes

And here is Frost’s (short) statement : https://no10media.blog.gov.uk/2020/08/21/david-frosts-statement-following-the-conclusion-of-round-7-negotiations-with-the-eu/

Un dialogue de sourds?

I do not understand why Frost thinks it is a good idea to spend time at this stage discussing aspects that will be irrelevant if the core issues prove impossible to resolve. With no agreement on the level playing field there will be no deal so what is the point of discussing the details of a unicorn that will not appear?

Read this… and despair? :sob:

Presumably because, although the EU consider them to be THE core issues (and they clearly are if the EU is to continue as the EU), the current UK government doesn’t want them at all and wishes to discard them?

1 Like

Sorry Peter, didn’t see your post there… will go off and read it!

1 Like

Boss’s orders. Procrastinate, procrastinate, pro . . . You get the message.

2 Likes

The EU is frightened of having an offshore island competing on different terms.
The UK is saying if we are no longer in the club your rules don’t apply.
What many people don’t understand as well is that there is a limit to the number of licences given to hauliers going into Europe, so not so much stuff coming back into UK.
Shortages and price rises ahead!

1 Like

Frightened is an odd word to use. Of course they don’t want a neighbouring island undermining their internal market by undercutting them. Unfair competition only leads to a race to the bottom.
The UK can’t have it both ways. Diverging from eu rules means accepting tariffs and quotas. Brexit means Brexit. So why do they keep pretending to negotiate if they have decided?

2 Likes

what a load of bollocks :roll_eyes:

So that they can put the EU in the frame for failed negotiations and “punishing” the UK.

3 Likes

I suppose that must be it. But to anybody who has followed the painful progress of negotiations the uk’s apparent inability to understand the eu position merely makes their negotiators look stupid.