BBC Internet Radio Gone

Has anyone noticed the loss of the BBC Internet radio?
Warnings that the service was going to change (go!) by mid 2023 but today Radio 2 has already vanished.
I think that it is related to it detecting my French i.p. address as much as it is the way they are changing the way they are offering the service. The two will be interlinked.

So how to solve this problem?
I am not sure using a ‘hide my ip’ maybe it might. Has anyone tried this?

I have found an alternative solution and it works but it requires additional equipment for some…

Please stay on topic.

How are you going onto BBC radio? I’ve just logged onto BBC on my PC and gone into Sounds and listened to a bit of Radio2 - no problems at all.

1 Like

How are you accessing it? Via the website or via an app? I just tested listening here and it worked for me via my Orange connection

1 Like

Same here Gareth. :grin:

1 Like

Ha - great minds :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

OK - currently the BBC SOUNDS is again working but was not earlier.

What do you hear if you try this?

I suspect that the SOUNDS will also soon be transmitting this message…

Ah, I see. Yes if using a third party app then I get the message that the BBC is limiting which apps people can use to listen to their feed.

I’ve just checked my Internet radio, and yes, a voice says that things are changing, regarding BBC radio 2, with the advice to check with your internet radio manufacturer or to listen to radio 2 on BBC Sounds.

I’ve just checked Radio 4 schedules on my PC and it mentions nothing till 7 this evening, so maybe that is off at the moment.

Other days as well till same time. I only listen during the day if the weather kills the satellite. Otherwise it is still good via that.

We have an internet radio that seems to be working as normal.

Yes I have it back (for now)… :grinning:
I am sure that is only temporary.

You must be new here - welcome!

:rofl:

1 Like

www.radio.net playing all BBC streams at the moment.

It is back for me too.
I suspect they are doing it intermittently at the moment.
The mornings seem to be the main time it happens.
I will post next time it happens.
I am sure I am not the only one that has this problem.
When the time comes I will resort to plan ‘B’ and it does not require a UK VPN.

Why use radio.net, or anybody else when you can log into the BBC directly, either in a browser on a PC or mobile device, or use the BBC Sounds app on a mobile device. It’s an excellent app imo.

The BBC website then remembers how far you are into what you’re listening to, so you can move from device to device, from room to room or from the house to the car . It remembers what you’ve listened to (an increasing useful feature :face_with_hand_over_mouth:) where one is in a series for example and makes suggestions based on your listening history.

Having already declared myself a a fan of disintermediation I’m not sure of the value of internet radios :slightly_smiling_face: I’m a subscriber to Apple music but I wouldn’t use it to listen to a radio station.

1 Like

I think @gregca is concerned that this may just be the first step, and that once everyone is forced to switch over to the BBC Sounds app then it would be easy for the Beeb, should it so wish, to block access to non-UK listeners… As they said here:

I don’t know if that is the BBC’s intention. It’s true that while third party sites exist, the Beeb had no way of knowing where its listeners are based.

The poor old Beeb does need funding so I doubt a block, maybe a subscription or ads, as there are already in podcasts I download from Sounds. Based on my IP it cleverly inserts French ads. I enjoy the BBC and I’ve really no problem funding it once the charge is reasonable.

I’m listening to BBC Radio 2 as I do most afternoons (no probs as yet).
A good few years ago they had a subscription service for those that live out of the UK, IRC twas 90£ or could have been 90€??? for all the Beeb’s content BBC player etc. Since they’ve stop the subscription service :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

I wouldn’t pay a subscription to the BBC, but I don’t mind the short ads that come on my podcast each evening to see me off to sleep. :smiley:

I use my internet radio all the time, radio 3 and 4.