BBC iPlayer

Oh I finally understand, mechanical engineer actually means brain surgeon. 'My brain hurts' - middle name Gumbie perhaps?

I sometimes wonder if the stents in my ticker are going to start receiving France Bleu one day, all those bad jokes and the music will drive me to the nearest tree with a rope!

Yeah but we'll be surrounded by even more radio waves. I'm telling you that the times I go out without my foil lined hat me brain hurts !

If they could bottle it like mineral water that might help. My hope is the smart technology. There are several big masts hereabouts so that when I wander about in the depths of the forest and no matter how far I go, my phone works perfectly. Roll on G6 and beyond (says he with his G3 phone).

Our Broadband is usually pretty good except, noticeably, most Wednesdays when the kids are home from school & 'researching' their homework ! I'm hoping the boffins will find some way of shoving more info. down our copper wires. (bigger pump maybe? I'm a mechanical engineer ) as I'll be pushing up daisies before fibre optics reaches our neck of Earths End .

It all depends on line speeds anyway. Go to one or two sites that offer free speed checks and find out what you have. My own are 6.8 Mbps download and 0.16 Mbps upload, so I get horrible slow delivery on FilmOn, Zattoo, Hola and all else. I have been using an academic equivalent this morning to read some research papers, bearing in mind they are without the buffering a film and TV channel has, but had at least a two second pause between pages. Skimming through a 120+ page report should have taken me three or four minutes, allowing for pauses to see if it was what I am looking for, it was double this morning. Watching news for a moment, the picture was almost freezing. Had it been a TV show or film it may well have stuck.

I suggest you run a speed check whilst you are in Hola and also on just or both Chrome or Firefox. I notice no significant difference, there Zattoo and Hola stay on in the background since disabling either is a waste of effort. The fact of the matter is that whilst France has one of the best developed Broadband networks anywhere, the old copper core cables are not up to the job and the programme for replacing with fibre optic is well over a decade and then to only about 85% of the population. On the departmental plan from 2013 to 2025 here we are not included, indeed this commune is way down the 'list' closer to 2025 than anything. Therein lies the problem. The solution is satellite reception for now or hope that in the near future smart technology around about G6 means we can receive TV the same way as we get our mobile phone signals. Some cities in a couple of countries are already trying it out but we have to wait anyway.

I use Hola on Firefox and I don't seem to notice any slowing down at all, perhaps I shouldn't have said that the internet gremlins will slow me down now. Try Firefox if Chrome is playing up for watching TV Catch up, you don't have to use it for everything if it isn't intuitive for you.

Yes, it has happened here too some time ago, more than once but not me. Anyway, just delete all of the Google Chrome anywhere on any directory. Go as deep into the directories as need be. Then search for it on IE again and reinstall. It works for us.

Hi

Thanks, that appears to be the solution.

Google Chrome has stopped working - do not know why - so now use IE.

All very strange and despite deleting and reloading, the problem remains. I cannot even get into the GC site to see if there is a fix.

Any ideas?

Peter S

We use Hola to get it & ITV player etc. I access Hola through Google Chrome. It's free & works fine.

Somebody will eventually explain about how to use a proxy. My daughter who just fiddled about for a few minutes and was only 10 at the time, sorted it for me but I cannot for the life of me exactly explain myself.