Be interesting to hear TMs response to Boris's remarks!

Delicious, Tim. Pity that NASA sun-probe has blasted off, we might have sent you up with it to be barbecued, Timburger and chips :hamburger::fries::joy:

Loads more rocket launches coming up Peter, Iā€™ll see if I can hitch a ride.:wink:

Youā€™re doing fineā€¦ :relaxed:

I know for a fact that LaĆÆcitĆ© has resulted in folk no longer being allowed to wear a cross in our local schoolā€¦ in factā€¦ no longer allowed to wear anything which has a ā€œreligiousā€ tag to itā€¦ (you know what I mean).

No one cuts up a stinkā€¦ they (we) are French and understand what it is all aboutā€¦ :relaxed:

2 Likes

(barricades himself under the stairs etcā€¦)

I know the feelingā€¦ :grimacing::face_with_head_bandage:

Yes, I guess I was using the ā€˜cā€™ word with a little ā€˜cā€™ā€¦ so easy to get confused (especially at your age Peter :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

2 Likes

Peter, I made it clear in my Postā€¦ I am talking about a school situationā€¦ something about which I do have first-hand knowledge.

Kindly stick to the content of what I have written. Please do not presume/elaborateā€¦ your posts about me are offensive and unnecessary.

thanks

1 Like

As Stella said, she is referring to the law regarding religious symbols in schools. The law changed in 2004 to ban all religious symbols of all faiths. Here is a wiki extract:

1 Like

If my last post was offensive flag it.

thanks Peterā€¦

Personally, I didnā€™t see Peterā€™s post to you as offensive stella.
Take a bit more ice with it :rofl:

Not saying I agree with this but if it was laid down in law that coverings should be removed then a police officer would be well within his rights to insist on it

1 Like

BUT I do see that could be getting on with this work he is talking about rather than mentioning me,

When did we begin to accept that the women will automatically be innocent? Some may well not be

Iā€™m wearying of this topic and the obfuscations, twists and turns to support a law that targets as criminals women going harmlessly about their business in garments that some people regard - on the basis of absolutely no evidence at all in France - as a threat to anyone, to secularism, French national culture etc etc.

As to innocence, is the presumption of innocence of women not a universal principle of justice, except when it comes to some Muslim women, whose guilt will be discovered by telling them to remove their coverings in the street, park or on the metro.

Words almost fail me, but I fully expect to be told I am twisting peoplesā€™ wordsā€¦ :roll_eyes::joy:C

Not sure your reply was aimed at me Pete. :thinking:

No it wasnā€™t, Mandy, I was ā€˜wondering out loudā€™ whether the presumption of guilt was going to be applied to all women, or just those who wore a niqab to hide their guilt, guilt which would otherwise be written darkly on their faces.

Sorry to have got that wrong, Pete :wink:

1 Like

Yes, Iā€™m not sure where @anon40466813 was going with that one which is why I didnā€™t reply. Maybe she will explain.

" being a catholic country it is French to wear a crucifix" no, we are explicitly a secular republic, and have been for over a hundred years - there is no place for religion in public life. For example, I am a civil servant and I am not allowed to wear any obvious religious symbols when I am at work.

The law against the burqa is a subsection of the law against having your face covered up in public, it applies to anyone who has their face covered up. Hijab is no problem, only a covered face is unacceptable.

2 Likes

I think we have already dealt with that one veroā€¦

Oh did I skip a bit of the conversation? Sorry.

2 Likes