Because I live in Trivy, I am a Trivygeotte. What are you called in your town or village?

Do you have a special name for the residents of your town or village?
It would be interesting to hear from you.

Arronnais

Le Puy Sainte Reparadeā€¦ā€¦ā€¦Puchien / Puchieene
Before I was in La Celle St Cloudā€¦ Celloclodoaldian

Sourdeval-ais

Valley of the Deaf-ite

I think Iā€™d be a GravĆ©en if I was over full time

A rather obvious Loupiannaise from Loupia.

There is a gentilĆ© for every commune and it is a ā€˜thingā€™ to know them.

I worked with a team of builders form the Savoie, that told me of a village called Bellecombe. Apparently, les hommes were called, les bellecomboit & les femmes les bellecombaiā€¦ Dinner party rules, after all weā€™re not, in the billiards room & having a snifter.

2 Likes

Paul,
you put up a link for regional areas? Not communes! ???

Drill down through the links, the communes are all listed (right down to the villages).

eg https://www.habitants.fr/morbihan-56

1 Like

Yes, you can.

I simply typed the name of my commune and, as I was finishingā€¦ it came up automaticallyā€¦(then I clicked on it) ā€¦ so much quicker for me at leastā€¦

Crevandiaux !

We donā€™t have one (that I could find, mind you my OH always says I donā€™t look properlyšŸ˜‚) 23500 Gioux

Not all the Communes/hamlets have a ā€œnicknameā€ā€¦ you are not aloneā€¦ :upside_down_face:

It isnā€™t necessarily emotive, it is just the name for someone from there. Eg someone from Foix is a fuxĆ©en. Crevandiaux will be something like crevandolien. Bordeaux bordelais, Gioux giouxien, limoges limougeot, St Etienne stephanois, BesanƧon bisontin etc. Sometimes they are a bit weird eg Fontainebleau belifontainā€¦
It is a typical general knowledge question in quizzes :grin:
(ps for Marseille it is usually held to be connard)

2 Likes

The place weā€™re moving to is called Bouteilles, so goodness knows what weā€™re called. Whatā€™s the French for Bottlers?

Bouteillais/es I should think.
To bottle is embouteiller or mettre en bouteille but the gentilƩ means pertaining to rather than doing, if you see what I mean.

I was an Albinoles and before that a Saint-Amantaises and before that a Saint-AndrƩennes.

Iā€™m a Sioracoise