Being a midwife for the night

To one of the farm cats, the vet said she was near end of term and it would have been too risky to do anything with her and let her go full term.
We had set up a cage with a birthing box in it in the spare bedroom in the stables that she shared with Eric and a couple of other of the farm cats.
Went in at 9pm to feed them and was met with the sound of mewing, she was in labour. Spent the night with her as she had trouble with one of the kittens coming out but it looks like there are 5 of them.
The last one she didn’t seem bothered about and was left in the corner and was getting very cold so I took it out and got it into a blanket on top of the oil fired radiator and got some warm milk and wiped it’s bum to get it to do the toilet, it responded and started moving and mewing loudly so I reintroduce it back to mum and it is suckling at the moment, I will just have to keep an eye on them all today and OH can take over duties when she gets up.

5 Likes

Félicitations…

And for anyone who wants to help reduce feral cat population, here’s latest about support to do so…

1 Like

Going in to the vets today to book two of the other females in for sterilisation, one male is getting friendlier so he will be done soon, just really leaves the older Tom who is too sly and clever at the moment to get.

Big kittens for such a wee cat, she was huge towards the end, almost as wide as she was long, she just waddled everywhere.

1 Like

Lucky cat to get such care.

1 Like

5 Likes

Beautiful, Colin :heart_eyes:

1 Like

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::cat::cat::heart_eyes:

1 Like

A little update, we ended up with four kittens in total, the little one I helped out died as did the tortoise shell one but strangely 36 hours after she gave birth I had to help her again with a very little black kitten.
The vet says a cat if having a traumatic time can pause the birth to help herself out he came out bum first as well, they all are now all in rude health and the little one after extra feeding at nights is much the same size as the rest of them and they are now eyes wide open and running around terrorising the place.
We have since had two of the females sterilised, one was with kittens, but early so we caught her just in time, myself and the farmer next door are going to make a concerted effort next week to catch the males.
Anyway, meet Ginge, Blackie and the twins, who make getting pictures virtually impossible as they are like Zebidee on speed :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Colin they are just gorgeous! Thanks so much for posting.

So beautiful, Colin - thank you!

A wee update.
We have 3 males and 1 female, Sisy’s daughter is helping her out with the kittens doing alternate shifts, they are starting to go onto solids and are using the litter tray, once they are weaned mother will be off to the vets.
We had a few hours of a problem as the feral Tom cat got in through the cat door and mum just about ripped the face off him, cue mum buggering off with the kittens into the loft of the building we are renovating, cue me having to wriggle into the 12" high loft space to get them back out, took 2 hours and wasn’t pleasant as I don’t think anyone had been up there bar mice and pigeons for 60 years.
Cat door is now boarded up and kittens back where they belong.

6 Likes

Another wee update, all the adult cats two males and three females are now sterilised, chipped and vaccinated, kittens are 11 weeks old and were in today for their first vaccinations and we found out we have two males and two females so Eric is now Erica :yum: along with Ernie, Ginger and Betsy.
It’s a really hard life being our farm cats :wink::face_with_raised_eyebrow::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes