Bercow, the man

Still don’t care. Still like him.
Who wrote this? If comments from just one person can affect the writer but the support of his friends & family cannot bolster them then perhaps the writer needs professional help.
I, like many people, have experienced interaction with those people who manage to make you feel worthless but I look at the people who don’t & they outnumber those who do.
It is a simple matter to avoid the ones I consider nasty.

I have no problem with how he dealt with Johnson etc but stories about his behaviour to those around him have circulated for years and clearly he had anger issues and treated people like ****.

Given how much the Tories hate him I would not be surprised if there was some bias but, as Tim says, the accusations of bullying are long standing.

It is a pity as he really rose to the occasion in defending parliament from an executive that wanted to have its own way, unquestioned.

1 Like

The rest are called Whips I believe.

It was his secretary, but I expect she was a feeble woman.

Johnson also treats people like **** but nobody is banning him!
If Bercow was so terrible why do people wait until 2 years after he resigns before kicking up?
If he was that bad the time to do something about it was then.

Gosh all those poor little MPs presumably they can’t cope with hustings, meetings, debate…

1 Like

That’s a wider issue Mark, the inquiry began 18 months ago yet many people in Westminster knew of bullying allegations years before that but chose not to speak out. I’m sure the bullying still goes on today and hopefully this outcome will encourage more victims to come forward.

Without wishing to get sucked into this debate, I’m pretty sure I recall allegations of bullying some time before he left his post, to the point where it may have been a factor in his departure.

2020 - Fresh doubts cast over John Bercow’s peerage as bullying claims resurface | John Bercow | The Guardian

2018 - Aide to Speaker John Bercow: ‘Bullying is covered up’ | News | The Sunday Times (I can’t access the full text of this article, but have assumed it is on topic).

I rather suspect that what worked well in the chamber - a hard-nosed approach and mocking tone - could destroy people for whom work was ‘real life’ rather than a kind of pantomime. I’ve had a few abusive bosses over the years, and can quite see that someone like him could destroy even quite a tough and otherwise independent individual in the wrong circumstances.

1 Like

I don’t think we can ban an elected politician. If only! It looks to me as if he was a bully with redeeming qualities in that he took on the Tories somewhat.

There were allegations made against Priti Patel too.
I have never met Bercow or his secretary so I can only judge him by is media appearances.
Difficult to take sides when you rely purely on what is reported. Who knows what sort of agenda some people have.

Bercow’s a good man. He rattled the cages of forelock tugging, time serving civil servants (there was a particularly odious smug bastard on CH4 lat night) and they sneakily and slyly got back at him. In my own little way I’ve encountered and dispatched similar “status quo” bastards in my career :slightly_smiling_face: I still have one of their resignation letters as trophy.

3 Likes

They weren’t allegations. They were proven but Johnson chose to ignore them. She revealing here incompetence in real time now.

Being an arrogant bully shouldn’t be allowed in any workplace never mind the Houses Of Parliament.

Unfortunately it seems a prime requirement for members of the current government. I wonder what that ghastly little man Williamson knows, to get a gong.

2 Likes

If you take away the years of bullying of course. :wink:

A whiff of double standards here. Patel was shown to be a bully, she’s a member of the government so bad. Bercow was shown to be a bully but because he is antipathetic to the Tories that’s all right.

1 Like

Yes indeed.
Couldn’t have put it better myself,

1 Like

They are pretty well all appalling, one way or another.

So leave. You are not chained to a bully of an employer.