Berlingo Battery Question

The battery wil be fine for the car, as aleady mentioned.
It would not be suitable for use in a caravan as they require deep discharge batteries due to the way they are used i.e. not constantly topped up by the alternator in a vehicle.

1 Like

Unfortunately that’s not going to work - not my car. I might try a work around to get a permanent fag lighter supply. I guess these things work through glass.

Yes mine works through the windscreen

But I don’t see that Graham, in Preferences the only time the word Profile appears is in the phrase Profile Pictures. :confused:

For many years I have used Optimate chargers for a motorbike and second car that don’t get a lot of use, and have always been very pleased with their ability to keep a battery healthy and reviving seemingly dead batteries. They make a huge range - both mains and solar powered. If you don’t know which is best for your situation, they respond quickly and helpfully to queries such as “this is my car, which charger is most appropriate?”

You can get a kit comprising a lead with battery terminal connectors on one end and a 12v socket (to match the one on the charger) on the other. The socket can then be fixed anywhere in or on the car to make plugging in the charger very simple.

But mine is not an ordinary caravan, it is the equivalent of the bunk in a lorry sleeper cab, and barely big enough for that with a small space to the side for my personal stuff, battery and gas bottle.

In other words, apart from brief (an hour or so) use each evening when I was away from home, and even briefer use in the morning to warm it up in winter, it is on charge all the time. So I might do 600 kms charging all the way, 1 and a half hours use overnight and then another 600 kms charging again the next day.

The battery from the wrecked car has worked fine like that for several years, it is just that this last year it hasn’t been used and I omitted to disconnect it.

Anyway an update this morning. The battery in the Berlingo is not completely flat as the interior lights and the normally brief odometer illuminates when the doors are opened.

So I have decided to try and jump start it from the Partner. The battery connections of that are not what I am used to. There is a normal positive pole in one corner, nothing in the other, but 2 connections alongside it, one of which I assume is the negative.

I have heard on modern cars that when jump starting, the negative croc should be connected to the chassis. Is that correct?

The left hand one in the picture is the positive.

1 Like

A quick google says that what you are looking at is all the positive side of the battery, the other battery terminal is in there somewhere.

When you originally said it was not responding to the charger, how did you connect the charger?

The positive battery terminal is under black cover on left of plastic battery housing as it faces you. The negative jump lead is connected to the round metal nut screwed to the inner wing on right as you face your car, if I remember correctly.

IMG_20210205_122706

Thanks to you both, the picture is of the Partner battery, the other end of it is tucked out of sight and unreachable, it is almost impossible to see also.

When I connected the charger it was to the poles on the conventional battery set up of the Berlingo, not the Partner one I pictured.

I have found that round nut Colin, I’ll give it a try later. Thanks.

You need to click on Profile in the side panel, then scroll down

Gotcha, at last, thank you. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

For heavens sake, Berlingo and partner are the same save the badge! You have a better battery there , use it!

You would think so but don’t forget that these 2 are some 8 or so years apart and there is a world of difference between the 2 in electronics etc. . Different engine too, even the tyre sizes are not the same,

I had an Optmate charger on a car that rarely left the garage - I fitted the ‘permanent’ kit so that it was a much easier connect and disconnect under the engine cover. Very useful and removed the risk of incorrect connection compared to the standard clips on the battery terminals